• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ERROR MESSAGE IN INDESIGN

New Here ,
Mar 04, 2019 Mar 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I Export as a JPEG in  InDesign.it shows some error message  (failed to export the jpeg file: File cannot be written.disk may be locked or full )

What I can do with this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

For anyone encountering this issue on Mac - go to the folder location, right click "Get Info" - and add yourself to the Sharing and Permissions user list - with "Read & Write" access. I had this problem shortly after creating a new system user account and had to unlock all my folders. If the above issue isn't the problem, try exporting the file to IDML, opening that new file and save as a different INDD.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2019 Mar 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of InDesign and OS?

Does this happen always or just one file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2019 Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you be more specific as to the content of the InDesign file that you are trying to export as a jpeg? If you had any imported images in the file, did you place them (File>Place) which is the correct way to do it or did you possibly copy and paste image(s) which should never be done? What resolution are any images that might be in the file. What happens if you export as a pdf?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What disk are you trying to save it to?  I have gotten this when I try to save or copy to a closed CD/DVD...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd do a test to make sure that it's not an issue with the volume (i.e. server or other drive). Also, sometimes people make the mistake of opening a file that they've exported and then try to export the file again, but InDesign is unable to overwrite the file because it's open by another program. Windows is notorious for this as sometimes just having a file visible in an Explorer window will produce this error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone encountering this issue on Mac - go to the folder location, right click "Get Info" - and add yourself to the Sharing and Permissions user list - with "Read & Write" access. I had this problem shortly after creating a new system user account and had to unlock all my folders. If the above issue isn't the problem, try exporting the file to IDML, opening that new file and save as a different INDD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2024 Jan 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FINALLY! This was the answer I was looking for -- getting permissions to alter files... yes! This works! THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Glad to hear that this worked. For anyone else experiencing similar issue on macOS you can provide full disc access to InDesign to provide permission. You can go to Apple Menu > System Settings > Privacy & Security > Full Disc Access.

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had reports of this in my office. It happens when saving to a SMB share. Occurence is intermittent and can occur when user is the only person on the network (i.e. before anyone else gets into the office). Only in InDesign, only when exporting as JPEG.

Attempt to export as JPEG over an existing file results in the error above. Existing file is deleted! With no file to overwrite attempting to export a second time succeeds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. Really annoying!
I also have a quirk, but with afp as well as SMB that when I export a PDF with 'open preview' on, it crashes my whole MAc. Drops the server connection and every app times out, but especially CC apps. Requires a force restart

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I try to saved as from .Indd to .IDML and open it, then try for exporting PDF again. it work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same error message, but the issue ended up being a corrupt image.

I went through deleting images and attempting to export until I found the culprit. Then it exported fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines