• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error message when trying to create a package folder - Cannot create package folders

New Here ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have never had a problem creating a package folder until today. I get to the window to select where to save the file and then an error message appears: InDesign could not package the document ...... Cannot create package folders.  I have closed out the file, quit InDesign, reopened InDesign and the file and it still has the same error message.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

O/S? Version of InDesign? Where are you packaging to? Network? Cloud folder? Local harddrive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

High Sierra. Version 2020. Packaging to an external 4TB Seagate harddrive.  I publish a magazine that comes out six times/year and always create a package folder before starting on the next issue. This is my 45th issue and the first time I have had this problem. My iCloud is full but I am not saving to the cloud. Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try packaging to a local folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried saving it to my hardrive. I got a little further along but then a new error message appeared (see attached screenshot). I have always saved to a different Seagate Backup Plus Drive, but that drive suddenly became read-only. I have not been able to change that. It was almost full, so I bought a new 4TB Seagate and have moved files over to that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgive me if I'm asking an obvious question, but have you checked the access privileges on your external? Your user account should be listed first with read and write access. If not, unlock and change. If you are sharing this external among users/computers, you might consider checking "Ignore ownership..." as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have saved all my work to that drive for a few years. All of a sudden, my computer (2017 Macbook Pro) stopped recognizing it, at all. It disappeared from my desktop and was not an available drive. Then it reappeared and was suddently read-only. I work alone and do not share any files. I Googled how to fix that and tried what you are suggesting but it will not offer me that option.  Out of desperation I bought a 4TB Seagate harddrive and have been using it. My old one is available and showing up on my desktop but it is still read-only. I have copied all the important files onto the new drive. I was on my deadline when all of this happened.

On another note - I was able to save the package folder to my desktop and then copy it onto my 4TB drive. When it finished there was an error message (see below).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help! Here is a screenshot of what my 2TB read only drive says. I was able to click and unlock the lock at the bottom, but there is no option to ignore ownership and the down arrow by the wheel at the bottom does not respond.  I keep thinking my O/S may be causing a problem and it is keeping me from updating Adobe InDesign past 2020, but I am afraid to upgrade and am not sure to which O/S.  From what I have researched, Mojave might be a safe option. I know there is Catalina, Big Sur and Monterey as well. A little overwhelming to know what to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean "it doesn't offer that option" When you Get Info on your external drive, can you screen shot the permissions at bottom (same as what I showed in my grab)

If it's only errroring on the PDF part of the package, unheck include PDF (or review the export setting applied there in case it's incorrect for your purposes)  and see if it successfully does the rest. This at least narrows down the issue.

Screen Shot 2022-10-23 at 2.26.43 PM.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was referring to the read only issue on the 2TB hardrive when I said it doesn't offer that option, option being ignore ownership. I was able to create a package folder, thank goodness! I don't mean to be confusing the two topics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines