Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Error when updating table of contents

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had no issues creating a table of contents with the correct formatting and page numbers appearing, however when I click 'Update Table of Contents' (to reflect changed page numbers etc) I'm recieving this error:

Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 3.19.25 PM.png
Confused for a number of reasons. Namely I'm not creating a TOC, but updating an existing one (unless this is just InDesign's way of saying that it's trying to create an updated version), and also because the previous TOC does include paragraph styles already.
Currently, each time I want to update the TOC I have to delete the current version and create a new one entirely, which isn't the end of the world but is a bit of an unecessary hassle.

I've never encountered this error on other documents with TOCs that I've created and can't figure out where I've gone wrong on this one. Any clues?

TOPICS
Bug, Performance, Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @MelissaJaanee 

We need more information, starting with a screen shot of your TOC dialog. Does it call for the heading styles you are expecting it to? It sounds like this information may have gone missing and needs to be put back.

In addition, confirm the the styles that are being asked for in the TOC dialog are applied to the appropriate paragraphs.

Jane

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jane-e

Here's my dialogue box when I create the initial TOC:

Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 3.24.31 PM.png

It calls up the correct styles in this dialogue box and creates the TOC just fine to begin with. The styles I select for each level here are applied correctly as well.
It's when I try to update the existing TOC that I recieve the error in my original post. No TOC dialogue at that stage (so nowhere I can include the paragraph styles as it asks for), just the error.

Melissa

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @MelissaJaanee:

I've never encountered that message‚and create/update a lot of TOCs. Try selecting the frame for the current TOC or just click an insertion point in the story before you update. Does that make the difference?

As a best practice, consider Save Style so that all of your settings—including the referenced styles—are available in the TOC Style menu.  

~Barb

EDIT: I somehow missed your screen shot, which looks correct. Try clicking in the existing TOC before you update. And perhaps resave the TOC Style to make sure it is up-to-date. 

toc.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines