Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Excel - Update in Indesign and keep styles

Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I'm trying to import an excel sheet to Indesign so I can update data in Excel and automatically get uptdated in Indesign. I read some topics here and I already get to import a table keeping the style (with the import options). I also read that to be able to update data in Indesign I had to import the table with no format, but, when I do that and change in the Excel, it does appear any alert about the changes and does not update the data in Indesgin. Can you help to understand what i'm doing wrong? Thank you! BR, Elisabete

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Do it without any opened document. Quit and relaunch.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you tick this checkbox in the preferences?

Capture d’écran 2022-04-04 à 11.43.20.jpg

I also read that to be able to update data in Indesign I had to import the table with no format

It is not exactly that: you can import a formatted table, but if you modify the format in InDesign and then, if you change the data of the Excel file, you will loose the local InDesign format modifications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Thank you very much for your help and quick reply.

In fact, the problem it was exactly that check box. Now it's working perfectly. 

And thanks for the clarification about the styles and formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to keep that checkbox selected? Because everytime I close InDesign and reopen it I have to tick that option again.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do it without any opened document. Quit and relaunch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect! Thanks again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Do you know if there is a way to KEEP the local InDesign format modifications when the excel file updates? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You need to use table/cell styles for this to work.

In the future, please do not hijack old threads. It makes it harder for everyone including you to get answers. I'm going to lock this thread. If you need more information, please start a new discussion. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines