• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

export InDesign style list

Participant ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to capture the style list from an InDesign document? I woul like a list of the formatting for each style I created in a particular document. My boss wants me to recreate the look of an InDesign document in Word (yes i know and feel free to roll your eyes). I'm the only one with InDesign in my office, everyone else has MS Office. So he wants a template that Word users can use that will still have the look and feel of our marketing materials.

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

Worked for me in 2020—I exported a tab delimited text file and opened it in Numbers. 111 columns.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

Not sure why this would get an eye roll. I do this all the time and its actually easier on word than indesign. At least i think so. I make the templates in word from scratch. what exactly are you not confortable doing from word?

this course helped me:

https://www.linkedin.com/learning/word-2019-essential-training/get-acquainted-with-the-power-of-word...

cheers

jonathan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

another thing you can do is take your indesign layout. export to .pdf. From acrobat you can save as a word document. Now, acrobat does not keep the styles data from indesign. So, you would need to open the document from word and name styles as you work your way down the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is not re-creating the styles in Word, I can do that. I'm looking for a way to print or capture a list of the formatting for each style. I know in Word that you can print list of styles used in the document, such as the one pictured below. I would like to do this same thing in InDesign.

word style sheet.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I saw that, but its 7 years old. Has anyone tried this with CC 2021?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not, but if you post the issue(s) you experienced when you used it someone may be able to help your get it working.

jonathan

[moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone tried this with CC 2021?

Go on, be the first! You're not going to break anything. Be adventurous!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so........ did you get it to work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me in 2020—I exported a tab delimited text file and opened it in Numbers. 111 columns.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RE: JonathanArias's response: "have you looked at this?:

http://www.kasyan.ho.ua/indesign/export/export_styles_description_settings_to_csv.html"

This worked for me and I'm a total scripting noob!  Thank you for this link. It was posted in another thread, but the link was broken.

Hints for other scripting noobs like me...

1. I used the following information to understand how (and where) to install the script using Creative Cloud InDesign version 17.0: https://creativepro.com/how-to-install-scripts-in-indesign/
  2. After extracting the zip file, I saved the file in the following file path...  C:\Users\My.Name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\Version 17.0\en_US\Scripts\Scripts Panel\Export paragraph styles descriptions - 4.0.jsx
  3.  I changed the setting to "comma" rather than "semicolon" as decribed in the instructions, and it turned out great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 24, 2023 Dec 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have you looked at this?:

http://www.kasyan.ho.ua/indesign/export/export_styles_description_settings_to_csv.html

By @JonathanArias

^dead link^  does anyone have this / or rather one that works with indesign cc (ID 2022 & up?). i can't believe ID does not include this already. what is the deal adobe? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 24, 2023 Dec 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can always export your INDD file as IDML - change extension to ZIP and examine XML files inside. 

Or if you work on a PC - or are able to connect a PC to your Mac network - in the next few days I'll finish adding full access to all Styles - Para / Char / Object / Table / Cell - and their properties.

Plus comparison, import, export and direct manipulation of all properties - including support for multiple documents - so much more than a simple Book synchronisation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you end up adding full access to all styles for PC users, Robert? I'm on a PC and wondering how to export style properties for import to MS Word, just saw your post here.

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Lori5FC3, ParaStyles and CharStyles almost done - just need to finish importing.

Do you also need Cell / Table / Object Styles? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Robert Tkaczyk, Mostly I'm working with para + char styles on this current project but if cell/table styles are available that would also be welcomed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing - what with Tab Stops and GREP / Nested / Line Styles? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify - what do you mean by "style properties for import to MS Word"?

RTF isn't enough? 

Or there is a bit of misunderstanding?? 

"My" way of exporting would be similar to what has been done by Kasyan - mentioned by RGO_MAKER Lab - CSV file with all the info - spreadsheet style.

So maybe it's not what you are looking for? 

But if you just need SAMPLES of all Styles - then it's not a problem. 

So - could you please clarify what exactly do you need? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar to how InDesign can map word styles, but the other way around. I'm building word templates based on a designer's InDesign file and rather than doing a manual inventory of all the parastyles and their properties (font, size, line spacing, etc) I wondered if there was an export or easier way. I haven't tried exporting to csv file but will try that now. thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you should try - maybe the info that's there - will be enough for you? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I see Kasyan's resource is a script - I don't trust downloading a script and would rather find another way, so...

I did follow your suggestion above to export to IDML, changed the extension to zip and found exactly what I need in the Resources/Styles.xml file. Thanks, @Robert Tkaczyk !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2024 Jan 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I see Kasyan's resource is a script - I don't trust downloading a script and would rather find another way, so...

Downloading a script won't do any harm. Running it may. But you could ask whether Kasyan's scripts can be trusted, and a loud chorus would exclaim Yes, he can! He's a good guy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome. 

And like @Peter Kahrel said - Kasyan's script is OK. Mine is an EXE, so you would trust me even less... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if you couldn't just create a list in the InDesign document that has an example of each paragraph style applied to a paragraph containing that style's name (there are definitely scripts around to help do that) then copy and paste that text into a Word document.

I'm no Word expert, I take great pains to avoid it, but it seems to create a style with the same name and properties as the InDesign one for each paragraph when pasted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nick Passmore, here is link to the thread with this kind of a script solution - you've posted there your version of the script as well? 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/script-utility-to-build-a-list-of-styles-in-docu...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines