• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export InDesign thumbnails to PDF

Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to export my InDesign file as thumbnails so I can paint the entire sheet of thumbnails at once in photoshop. I can print the thumbnails and I can export the full size files as a pdf - but not the thumbnail array. I would have thought I could just save the PDF from the print dialog box, like I would from any other program, but I'm getting an error message saying that's not supported. Is there some other way to do this? Thanks! 

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Save as Postscript instead, then open that in Acrobat... that will open Distiller and create a PDF the way you want.

There are other ways, but this might be all you need for your purposes.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Hi there, 

Thanks for reaching out. Screenshot you shared shows that your system doesn't have PDF printer. You need to select one of these options to Print PDF.

Print PDF ID.png

Could you please confirm which operating system is this? 

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save as Postscript instead, then open that in Acrobat... that will open Distiller and create a PDF the way you want.

There are other ways, but this might be all you need for your purposes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked - thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

Thanks for reaching out. Screenshot you shared shows that your system doesn't have PDF printer. You need to select one of these options to Print PDF.

Print PDF ID.png

Could you please confirm which operating system is this? 

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I have IOs 11.2.1 How can I enable the PDF printer? I can print to PDF in other applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to do this without that. Even without a printer installed, in the Print dialog, where you tried to Print to PDF before and got the error, you should see Save as Postscript. Take the resulting file and Distill it into a PDF (as I said, the easiest way to invoke this is to simply drag the file onto your Acrobat icon). You will be given a "trust" question and then it should generate the PDF.

Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 9.24.39 PM.png

 

Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 9.24.46 PM.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just doesn't work. I get a message that it's not supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What System are you on?. I just tested it and it works fine for me.

Regardless, another way to do it is to select Postscript File as your Printer, and select any PPD that appears... but either the Adobe PDF PPD or Generic Postscript PPD will be fine (actually most PPDs will work assuming they have the page size you require)

Select your page size and how many thumbnails you want, then SAVE.

Distill the resulting file in Acrobat... Again, the easiest way to do that is to drag the PS file onto your Acrobat icon; it will invoke Distiller (there may be a warning about "do you trust"..click yes) and create a PDF for you.

Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 4.21.56 PM.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines