Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export preferences to change PC and version of Indesign

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I was running Indesign and Photoshop 2020 on a Windows 7 pro PC, and now I have received a brand new PC running Windows 10 Pro, and installing Indesign and Photoshop 2021. How can I keep my preferences ?

Thanks in advance

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Thanks a lot, but I can't even find the sync icon in Indesign 😞

By @laurencel57343895

Read the first sentence:
Sync Settings has been removed in InDesign CC 2015.2.

And migration only works if you've already installed a version and want to update to a newer version.

For a complete fresh install you have to backup / restore the individual files yourself:
https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-locations.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the old computer, you can set to sync your preferences with your account (via cloud adobe.com user ID)

more details here Sync settings in InDesign using Adobe Creative Cloud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @laurencel57343895

Read the first sentence:
Sync Settings has been removed in InDesign CC 2015.2.

And migration only works if you've already installed a version and want to update to a newer version.

For a complete fresh install you have to backup / restore the individual files yourself:
https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-locations.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Sorry I had missed the first sentence, probably because I did not want to believe it. Why stop something so good ?

I have tried restoring the files myself, but it slow down the system a lot, so I have given up. We will have to do it all again from scratch... What a pity.

Thanks again for your help !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @laurencel57343895 
what files were you restoring? The whole folder?
I would only restore the necessary files (like workspaces, keyboard shortcuts, InDesign Defaults).

Sadly a lot of settings are stored in the InDesign Defaults, which is the first thing you reset if there are problems...

Why stop something so good ?
Yea... good question... not sure what Adobe was thinking there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your reply, it was so complicated that we did it all from start in the new PC. What a waste of time !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines