• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exported document of 1920x1080 px as PDF but when viewed at 100% in PDF it's huge.

New Here ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys!

I am trying to export a document from Indesign into a PDF. The size of the spreads is 1920x1080 px and when I open it in Acrobat on my monitor (Full HD) the view is set at 53% and some texts and images look really bad. If I put it on 100% it gets really huge.

When I hit ctrl + L to go into presentation mode it's all fine but I want to send it to a client and I don't want to worry they may not look at it in presentation mode.

Am I missing something when exporting?

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @King and Kingdom , If you set your InDesign rulers to inches your 1920 x 1080 pixel page will measure 26.66” x 15”. The default 100% view in Acrobat and InDesign shows the 26.66” x 15” print output dimensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find working with pixel dimensions to be problematic no matter what the export model is. (ID is not good at things such as doing web banner ads at pixel dimensions.)

I often do presentations for HD scale/ratio, and simply use pages that are of some comfortable size to work with, in inches or picas and in the HD ratio. Either 19.2 x 10.8 inches, or halve that. It produces full resolution in the PDF at modest file sizes. There is no need to try to export to a specific screen resolution/pixel size; Reader does a fine job of fitting full pages at any adapted resolution. Export to that specific size will just create lower-quality images, for the most part.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the export is always going to be to an image format—JPEG or PNG—then you can easily get a matching pixel dimension by setting the export Resolution to 72. The pixel ruler unit is just a convenience, so you don’t have to do the math—target pixel dimension / page dimension as inches. It isn’t very useful for PDF exports

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The critical point here may be a common misunderstanding (not necessarily the OP's) about how PDF works. A lot of questions and issues seem to revolve around the notion that it's (inherently) pixel-image pages.

Letting PDF use its vector nature to fully exploit resolution issues for graphics and type is a key bit of understanding.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines