• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting a PDF from Indesign

Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction, I need to export PDF's from InDesign and open them up in illustrator, the InDesign files have several layers, I want the PDF to retain this layered info when I open it back up into illustrator, I do not not want all info flattened into one layer where I then have to sort it all back out. I know this is easily done when saving an illustraor file as a PDF, just can't see the same options within InDesign?

cheers

Dave

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the export dialog select the "Create Acrobat Layers" checkbox. The compatibilty should be Acrobat 6 or more.

Screenshot 2022-10-24 at 12.29.32 PM.png

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are doing this? Illustrator is NOT a PDF editor and there is practically zero chance of not destroying that file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to do this this as customers create their artwork in InDesign instead of using the correct software, therefore I have to edit/correct the files in illustrator, hence my intial query..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

>> create their artwork in InDesign instead of using the correct software

You make my day! InDesign never was been uncorrect software. 

Осень вступила в свои права...

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The less destructive way is to add elements to the cs library and import them into the othe program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best way would be if people could create the artwork in the correct application but unfortunately they don't and I have to pick up the pieces...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly makes Illustrator the "correct application?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines