Exit

exporting font(from glyphsapp) directly to indesign font folder

New Here ,
Apr 05, 2019 Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,

i use an application GLYPHS to make fonts,

and in order to test them in real-time, i export the work-in-progress font directly in to indesign font folder.

however, after the indesign update, whenever i try to export the font into indesign font folder it asks me to put imac pw.

it is really irritating to put pw for every export.

how can i export font into indesign font folder without putting pw?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds normal and correct Mac behaviour.  Did you try the ~/Library/Fonts folder instead? Mac OS X: Font locations and their purposes - Apple Support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After an InDesign update, but not before? No, it cannot be something system related.

Perhaps those new folders got created with different administrative rights? (Which is done by the InDesign installer, of course.) Check what permissions you have, and compare against other versions where the Fonts folder still behaves normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This forum post kept coming up in Google searches while I was trying to solve a similar problem. If you drop fonts into the following folder on your system, they will instantly activate in Adobe apps like Ps/Ai/Id (+ maybe others).

On macOS:

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Fonts

On Windows:

C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Fonts

According to many articles and videos I've seen online, InDesign and Illustrator have their own app-specific live font folders as well, but I can't get them to work. It's much simpler to just use the folders I listed above.

And for the others who were trying to answer this post, OP was not looking for the folder to install fonts system-wide on their operating system. This causes all sorts of problems for typeface designers due to font caching. Operating systems don't like it when you try to update fonts with newer versions, which is something you'll do many times a day if you're designing a font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Justin,

C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Fonts

does NOT work on my Windows 10 machine.

Adobe Illustrator 2022 sees the fonts.

InDesign 2022 and PhotoShop 2022 do not.

Even if you restart the apps.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's unfortunate if it doesn't work anymore. That's the fonts folder I had bookmarked that I used to use on my Windows 10 system running Ai/Id/Ps 2020 versions, so perhaps something has changed since then. I don't use Windows much these days. Maybe the folder has moved to another location? It might take some guesswork to find it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The folder clearly exists in that path. But InDesign 2022 and PhotoShop 2022 cannot see the font files there.

Just tested with InDesign 2020 on the same machine. Same result. Fonts in that folder are not visible for InDesign. Hm. Perhaps something has changed with an Windows 10 update?

Also tried older versions like InDesign CS6 and PhotoShop CS6, who do not see the font.

Illustrator CS6 is able to see the font.

I'm running a German Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H2, Build 19044.1706

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines