• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting InDesign page to jpg

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to export a single page InDesign doc to a high res jpg. At present I can only get to 300ppi, and when I specify 600ppi I get a message 'Failed to export the JPEG file, max size exceeded, try decreasing the resolution'

Is there any way around this? The page is made up of about seven eps files, I chose gray thinking that might reduce the size of the file. Would it help if my images were also jpg? Any clever tips for this please?

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

I just ran some quick tests and I have an idea about what might be going here.

And I don't think it has anything to do with what kinds of files you put on the page. (In other words, although EPS is an outdated format, I don’t think that is related to the problem.)

Several Adobe applications have a limit on the pixel dimensions they can work with. When creating the document page, InDesign let me create a maximum page size of 15552 x 15552 pixels. On export, it gave me the same error if I trie

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

You could try the export JPEG export script I posted in this link, it doesn’t have the 37500px limit:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/indesign-exporting-jpgs-at-72dpi/m-p/11872334#M416805

The direct link to the script:

https://assets.adobe.com/public/ca875a61-546a-416e-6475-ab3f3c29c717

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I ask why you are using EPS files? This is generally an outdated format, which carries extra info as a "wrapper." Are these Illustrator files? If so, just place as AI files. It could make a difference. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ran some quick tests and I have an idea about what might be going here.

And I don't think it has anything to do with what kinds of files you put on the page. (In other words, although EPS is an outdated format, I don’t think that is related to the problem.)

Several Adobe applications have a limit on the pixel dimensions they can work with. When creating the document page, InDesign let me create a maximum page size of 15552 x 15552 pixels. On export, it gave me the same error if I tried to export that as a JPEG at anything above 151 ppi.

What is special about a 151 ppi limit? First we have to back up to what happens when this document is exported at 72 ppi. The document is 216 inches on a side because 15552 divided by the InDesign default of 72 pixels per inch equals 216 inches. On export the 216 inches is multiplied by that same 72 ppi default, exporting 15552 pixels on a side. Increasing the ppi to the maximum it allowed, 151 ppi, results in 216 * 150 = 32,616 pixels. Now what does that number, 32,616, have to do with anything?

The number 32767 is very commonly seen in computers when working with 16 bits. It has been responsible for a number of limits in many applications. If I export my document at 152 ppi, 216 * 152 = 32,832 …which is beyond 32767. But what I got at 151 ppi, 32,616, is less than 32767, and it was allowed. So my guess is that if you specify a ppi resolution that, when multiplied by your page size in inches, works out to more than 32767 pixels on the long side, you get the error.

My InDesign document is just a single rectangle covering the entire page. I kept it as simple as possible to help confirm that it is all about the pixel dimensions of the export (inches * ppi), and not about the number of types of files on it.

@BudWashington wrote:

Is there any way around this? The page is made up of about seven eps files, I chose gray thinking that might reduce the size of the file. Would it help if my images were also jpg? Any clever tips for this please?

If I’m right about the above, the ways to get around this are:

• If you require 600 ppi, you can get there if you reduce the size of your InDesign page in inches. My guess is that for 600 ppi to be allowed, your page size would need to be under (32767/600) or less then 54.6 inches on the longer side. Because 600 * 54.6 = 32,760 pixels, just under the limit.
  • If you require a physical page size more than 54.6 inches long, you will probably have to reduce the ppi below 600 in the JPEG export dialog box. The larger it is beyond 54.6 inches, the lower the ppi value will need to be to keep the final pixel dimensions under 32767 pixels. 
  • The Web says the maximum pixel dimensions allowed in the JPEG format are 65,535 pixels on a side, so you could also try composing and exporting your page in another application with a higher limit. For example, I just tried Photoshop and it allows exporting a JPEG at the full 65,535 x 65,535 pixels. If you have Photoshop, you could just as easily drag and drop your EPS images into a Photoshop document, arrange them, and export at larger pixel dimensions than you can in InDesign. 

It’s possible that the limit in InDesign is because of the specific code library they used to export a JPEG. I have not tried Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for running this test for me, really appreciate being able to tap into this expertise.

This is not a web project, it's to be punched out in metal and the size of the panel is 1940 x 1090 mm, which I think is longer than the 54.6 inches mentioned. The eps files I realise are old tech, they are old illustrations, and I will see if I can get back to the originals in Illustrator. The 300 ppi is giving us a bit of a raggy look I was hoping to improve. I'm working with unfamilar technology here (the punched metal tech) so not quite sure how to give them something that will render with a smoother definition. (They need jpg files, not pdf, or ai either I think). Exciting project, but challenging. Might try Illustrator, although it's a small age since I used it. Thank you for this information, it's given me some options to try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using JPEG will give you a bit of a raggy look, by design (it's ONLY made for photos). Try TIFF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have Photoshop try exporting to PDF and rendering the PDF in Photoshop at 600 ppi. WHen you export make sure resample images is off and compression is set to None.

Screenshot 2021-08-24 at 2.30.58 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BudWashington,

export the page to PDF/X-4 without downsampling images in the process.

Open the PDF in PhotoShop and render it to the desired pixel size.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try the export JPEG export script I posted in this link, it doesn’t have the 37500px limit:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/indesign-exporting-jpgs-at-72dpi/m-p/11872334#M416805

The direct link to the script:

https://assets.adobe.com/public/ca875a61-546a-416e-6475-ab3f3c29c717

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much for all the support, I did eventually solve the problem.

When we looked at a much enlarged version of the file it was just fine for what we needed.

I was really impressed that people were willing to be so helpful, in all my years as a designer I've never enlisted the Adobe community before. Guess it's a sign of the times, working all alone a bit more these days. So thank you everyone who put there bit in, I learnt a lot, and remember a fair bit too. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines