• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting layers from InDesign to PDF

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried to export an InDesign file with two layers, the art and the template. I need to send it to the printer for a custom box. I don't see layers in my PDF. What am I doing wrong? I'm using the latest versions of each program. I'm attaching the InDesign file before I make text into outlines, in case there are changes and the PDF I got.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Did you tick the “create layers” check box?

Capture d’écran 2021-03-16 à 23.11.04.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not normally recommneded to convert text to outlines.

What kind of PDF did you produce, PDF/X-4 is the normal one, but it depends on your printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Changed the Output to X-4 and still don't see layers. What am I doing wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you tick the “create layers” check box?

Capture d’écran 2021-03-16 à 23.11.04.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duh! I had said "All Layers" but failed to tick the box! That did it! Thanks you both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

To export a layered pdf the Compatibility needs to set to Acrobat 6 or higher, also the "Create Acrobat Layers" needs to be checked on.  Please see the attached screen shot....

Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 6.13.46 PM.png

Regards

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree on the don't outline comment. Unless your printer is specifically asking you to do so, don't. What you sacrifice, especially on smaller type, is the hinting that the typeface has built in to make smaller sizes look better. When converted to outline, there's a good chance your type will look chunkier than you expect or want.

Also, from a printer's perspective (I've worked in prepress) we'd much rather see you send us two separate files... one for the artwork and one for the dieline... But this is something you should discuss with your printer. It's quite possible their RIP doesn't know what to do with layered PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see your background image is set to 80% opacity, if this was done to show the box template, this is not necessary. The template (or dieline) is typically on the topmost layer and set to overprint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

WOW! All these wonderful suggestions1 I appreciate them all. I'm actually waiting for the supplier to indicate how they want the file. I just wanted to figure out how to make a layered PDF in case that's what we want. The template isn't just a die line, but I need the supplier to see how I want the art to be positioned. I will keep all these suggestions in mind once I get the go-ahead from my client and instructions from the supplier how they want the file. Maybe I can just give them the packaged InDesign file. I have great respect for this process. I've mostly worked alone for 30+ years. Each project gives me an opportunity to learn something new. It keeps me young!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines