• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting to PDF higher than Acrobat 4 (PDF 1.3) makes files huge

New Here ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone explain what's going on with compression in Indesign/Acrobat engine?

Normal A4 page ad, with PSD file as background. 

When i try to make a preview PDF, no matter what compression i set in "Export As PDF" Compression section, even with 72 dpi downsampling (72, for images above 72) and Image Quality Minimum i get 11 MB file. With PDF 1.4-1.7 standard.

But, with exactly the same settings (or even 150 dpi and Maximum image quality) and Acrobat 4 (PDF 1.3) file size is less than 1 MB.

TOPICS
Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 08, 2022 Oct 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The solution lies in your PSD file. If your PSD file contains transparency, PDF 1.4 and higher can use that to produce higher quality PDF documents. PDF 1.3 and lower needs to flatten transparency, which in your case, as the PSD-file is the background file, does not make much of a difference. If you put a full non-transparent background in your PSD file (white background as an example), the PDF file size may change.

Without seeing your data, all the rest is speculation.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines