Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Extending image beyond bleed

New Here ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I had my children’s book illustrated and my illustrator painted the drawings and sent me pdf’s of the illustrations. I’m trying to create a book on Barnes and Nobles’ printing service in order to create a print book. I’ve used InDesign to format the illustrations with bleed. I set my file to 11x8.5 which is the size of the book, and my bleed to 0.125” which is what B&N asks for. Then I pasted the pdf’s onto the pages, set one corner to the bleed and grabbed  the opposite corner, enlarging it until it meets the bleed on the other two sides.

On all of the illustrations I’ve had to extend them  past the bleed because they aren’t a true 11x8.5. So as I expand the illustration to get the top and bottom to meet the bleed, the left and/or right extend beyond.

When I attempt to upload my finished product to B&N, their site says that I cannot because my pages are bigger than 11x8.5. I’m assuming this is because I’ve extended the PDFs beyond the bleed and it’s made the pages bigger than 11x8.5.

I guess my question is, is there a way using InDesign to trim off whatever extends out beyond the bleed so that B&N only recognizes what’s inside the borders of the bleed? Like, to delete that information from my file or make it indetectable?

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you export your final PDF, you should only have checked "Use Document Bleed Settngs" and NOT any of the Printer's Marks boxes. B&N may be expecting a final PDF that is exactly 11.25"x8.75" with no marks. If you had added trim/printers' marks, that would make a final PDF larger than that.

When you look at the PDF in Acrobat, is it the correct size? (hover down by the bottom left corner of the PDF page you are viewing and the size will appear)

The fact that your image goes past the bleed on your page makes no difference, assuming you've made your PDF properly.

Did they give you Export Settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This. The various POD publishers are erratic in the details of whether they want a specific trim page size, plus a bleed—which is the professional way to express it—or an oversized page, which is the same thing but easier for most author/publishers to understand.

No longer familiar with B&N but if you look at their prep specifications it should say very clearly what size the pages should be, and using one or either measurement basis.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then I pasted the pdf’s onto the pages,

By @Ronald22478216m9of

Please tell me you used Place and didn't copy and paste the PDFs? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you submitting a pdf for printing or eBook? an eBook would not have any bleed. If you export to pdf as Brad suggested, the PDF size would necessarily be larger than 11 x 8.5, but the page size (AKA trim size) would be correct.

Note that for most book binding there would be no need for inside bleed, so the overall pdf size would be 11.125 x 8.75, although including it should not be a problem.

Acrobat will show you the overall pdf size in the lower left corner, to see the page size, go to Tools> Print Production> Set Page Boxes> Apply to:> TrimBox, the page size will appear under the page preview.

pdf page size.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines