• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Failure to Launch Indesign CC2022 (V 17.0) unless plugplugowl.dll is replaced with one from V 15.

Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trouble with: InDesign CC2020 (17.0) began in CC2021 (16.0) onward
User since: InDesign 1.5

I have had perpetual failure to launch on in all versions of InDesign since CC2021 (V 16.0) though the current CC2022 (V 17.0) update unless I replace plugplugowl.dll with a copy from CC2020 (V 15).

When the 2022 release came out I did a clean install - did not migrate any settings from CC2021. 

I have only found few references to a plugplugowl.dll issue from back in 2018. Those were marked as up as being fixed in an update. I haven't really found any 2020 or newer references.

------------------------------

I hope this is something there will be a fix for.
Looking forward to any feedback.

Thank you!
Ryan

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide full system specs and any error messages you're getting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System: Intel i5-7500, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K1220, Windows 10 Pro

Error messages: No error messages. Upon launch the splash screen will come up then just disapear after a minute unless I swap the .dll file.

I looked at crash logs and dug around on the internet when it first happend upon installing the the V16 release. The specific plugplugowl.dll file was never a part of any specific error message, but found references to an error with it in V14 that was supposedly fixed (but I never experienced in V14). I came up with swapping the .dll from an old version on my own and have had to do it for every update of InDesign since. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted about this when V16 was release but never received any information then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went back and looked at the earlier thread and the bug report, and it seems to be a very limited problem which leads me to think it might be something configuration realted on your machine (and those of the few others affected), possibly a software conflict with another running task.

Two things worth trying would be starting in Safe Mode and creating a new user account and see if either allows ID to launch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll let you know when I have a chance to try Safe Mode. What does the plugplugowl.dll do? Is there some area of function I should troubleshoot within (graphics card, networking, hard drive storage, etc)? Why would swapping it with the dll from V15 make it work?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My recollection is that OWL is the Adobe Object Widget Library, but I'm no longer sure what it does. I think maybe it is used for drawing the interface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines