• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File is already open by another user

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there. I am getting an error message: This file is already open by another user or another application. This file may be stored on a network server and cannot be opened until the other users closes it. The file is not open anywhere else and I am the only user? How do I fix this?
TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the folder where the InDesign file saved for a hidden file with extension idlk. Delete this idlk file and then try to open the InDesign file.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Megan - there are no idlk files. I've deleted them. I can't access any of my files on my new laptop. Not sure how to connect to them - I use dropbox to save all files. Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you confirm if the file has been properly downloaded/synced on the destination computer. Check the filesize on the computer where the document opens fine with the filesize on the computer that has issues, that might give us some hint.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Files are synced perfectly - files are same size. Is it something to do with the fact that I'm running creatve cloud on two divices at the same time? I've quit creatve cloud where file work OK. Left it open on laptop - still not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You left what open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I left creatve cloud open on laptop - quit out of it on desktop computer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not a fan of CC storage for this type of thing. I use Dropbox and Onedrive and they both work flawlessly.

As already mentioned, any smart sync type of feature should be disabled for InDesign-based workflows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes agreed - I don't use CC to store my files. All my files are on dropbox. But for some reason I can't open any of my CC files on new laptop? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a fast fix, move the InDesign document file from Dropbox to your desktop before opening within InDesign and try to open it there. I suspect it will open just fine.

Then go back to your dropbox folder and I suspect you'll find some errant .idlk files. Kill them all. And as Bob recommended, turn off smart syncing with Dropbox. It will reduce — but not eliminate — the chance that will happen to you again in the near future.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Got it sorted. Accessiblity was not activated in dropbox settings. 

Thanks for you help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines