• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Files in Brook File are not synching (paragraph style)

Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am brand new to InDesign.

Have moved my book manuscript from Pages (made into .txt file) into a long InDesign file and moved the various parts of the very first section of the book into files inside a Book File.  With this done, I aim to act on what I've seen and heard explained on an online course and set up this part of book before proceding further. I have a teething problem every ten minutes!

Right now, I've noticed that the paragraph style I set up in one of the files in the Book file, for the main body of text, which I've called "copy", isn't synching with all of the others.  The other paragraph style I set up ("heading") along with "copy", suynchs just fine.  Both paragraph styles appear as they should in the appropriate panel for every document.  But still "copy" doesn't appear as it should in some of them.

What have I done wrong?  What am I missing?

Any suggestions would be massively appreciated!

Thank you.

TOPICS
Print , Publish online , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Just to expand questions on others' comments, and to clarify... do you currently have multiple files in the Book panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Book feature (File > New >Book) is for assembling a number of InDesign documents into one document. That is to say, you have to create the documents first. The Book feature is best used for very long documents.

I suggest you take an introductory InDesign course on LinkedinLearning.com (you can get 30-days free access).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi default53x9pxnwvocf,

what style is your paragraph style "copy" is based on?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to expand questions on others' comments, and to clarify... do you currently have multiple files in the Book panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. 

Yes. About 12 files. Each is a segment moved from the first part of my manuscript (in InDesign) such as the preface, Table of Contents page, the intoduction, some chapters, a unit intro and summary...

Sadly, after posting yesterday, I lost all the initial formatting, including various paragraph styles, to the contents of my manuscript! Incredible but true, whilst fiddling with paragraph styles. I am now going to reformat it quickly again (it's in Italian and all the accents turned into symbols during the conversion from Pages to .txt to inDesign) and have deleted and am going to re-make the Book File, and be extra careful as I go. Hoping the synchronisation issue does not arise again or, if it does, that I'll understand why by then. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi default53x9pxnwvocf,

if you do not want to use the synch options with the book feature of InDesign you still could "synch" character Styles and paragraph styles with the Import Styles or Import All Styles options of the Character Styles panel or the Paragraph Styles panel. The source of the import could be an InDesign document or an IDML file.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines