• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Find & replace simple text not finding examples...

Engaged ,
Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi InDesign wizards. I've often been stumped why I can't find/replace text when my parameters are correct when I know there are instances of text in the document that match the parameters exactly. I've attached a screenshot of an example. Initially I was looking for white text, point size 17.279, in the font Humanist 721 Extra Black. That found nothing (even though there were hundreds of examples), so I stripped it right down to a simple search for text in point size 17.279. Still it finds nothing. I've toggled each of the 7 option boxes above the find field too. What am I overlooking?

TOPICS
Print , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign calculates internal more exact, maybe, what you see is not 17,279 but 17,2789 or 17,2792. Therefore it is not a good idea to find text with such odd numbers. Do you work with Paragraph Styles, try to find them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Willi. I think you are right.

Re: paragraph styles, I have always advocated them, but unfortunately at the last three jobs I've worked, they haven't even heard of them, or disliked them. On this document for example, I put them in the last issue - then the next designer took them all out the next time. Hmm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What is the reason to dislike them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leider kann InDesign keine Schriftgrößen mit zwei- oder dreistelligen Kommatas suchen und finden. Also nur Größen wie z.B. 17.5 oder 18 genau...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo aniri5j9ox8tw2ln,

ich muss da widersprechen. InDesign kann das sehr wohl.

Nur die exakten Werte zeigen kann es nicht, wenn man die mal vollständig reingetippt hat.

Siehe meine Antwort mit den Beispiel.Screenshots und dem Script-Code.

Aber Spennos Problem kann noch andere Dimensionen haben.

Dazu später mehr.

Gruß,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"point size 17.279, in the font Humanist 721 Extra Black. That found nothing (even though there were hundreds of examples), so I stripped it right down to a simple search for text in point size 17.279. Still it finds nothing."

Hi Spenno,

could be that InDesign is not showing the super-exact values of the point size of that text.

Do get the exact values when selecting the text frame, run this ExtendScript (JavaScript) code that would alert the exact value:

alert( app.selection[0].texts[0].characters[0].pointSize );

You may be able to type in that exact value to the input field of your Text Find field.

Made a sample file where this happens. InDesign is not showing the exact point size, because the text frame was scaled. The point size I see is 13.268 Pt. Text Find will not find text with that value. Why? The exact point size is 13.26804 as my little script is revealing:

PointSizeNotFound-Text-Find-Sample-1.PNG

If I type in the exact point size to the Find field, InDesign will find the text:

ExactPointSizeTypedToFind-Field.PNG

TextFoundWithExactPointSize.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, what Find/Change is not able to do:

Find all text that is in a range between 17.798 and 17.799 points for example.

That would be perhaps necessary to find all relevant texts in this example.

Imagine that the text frames are scaled just a bit differently.

Then a super-exact value of the point size will not help much.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines