Find and change a vector object

Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have few vector icons that are of a particular style scattered across all of my document. Now the client wants to change the style of the icons. Is there a way to find and change vector objects like we can do for texts?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thnk that would require a script. There is no way for InDesign to identify a particular vector object.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are they linked graphics? Are yiou simply looking to replace them with a new graphic? You can do that in the Links panel using Relink.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I was assuming that the vector graphic was embedded. Some smaller Illustrator objects are copied and pasted into InDesign (which turns them into InDesign vectors). 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and this is a classic example of why that's a poor workflow.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately they are not linked, I should have thought about it before.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think maybe the best bet is to go ahead and Place (link) an instance of the new logo someplace like the pasteboard, then copy it to the clipboard. Delete the old embedded logos one at a time and paste the new logo from the clipboard.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Yusuf,

Steve mentioned scripting.

Even with scripting this could be very hard.

Could you post a sample InDesign document and some screenshots.

A before and a after the change situation?

When posting some screenshots please select the items with the Direct Selection tool so that the path points are visible.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines