• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Find and Remove Repeated TOC Entries

Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a TOC at the end of my book as my index in order to use a paragraph style. Unfortunately I'm getting repeated copies of the same entry like I show below.

4-14K...........114

4-14K...........114

4-14K...........114

404A..............65

404A..............65

Is there a way for me to find the repeated lines and remove the copies and leave only one of them? I tried creating a GREP but could not figure it out. I would greatly appreciate you help with this.

ais007_0-1643770604180.png

Thank you,

Tomas

TOPICS
EPUB , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

One possible solution can be found in this old blog entry from Colin Flashman: https://colecandoo.com/2012/08/30/making-picture-indexes-with-captions/

Scroll down to part 2...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A TOC entry is linked to one single paragraph style entity, headline 1. Do you work with paragraph styles or are you formatting manually?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work with paragraph styles. All items that need to appear in the index are assigned a single paragraph style. Once I generate the list, I then run the SortParagraphs.jsx script to sort to the correct alphabetical and numerical order. Unfortunately, I end up with duplicates because I assigned repeated items the same paragraph style within the book. In the future I plan to change the paragraph style for repeated items to prevent duplicates on my generated TOC. For now, I want to avoid the fix because it takes a long time to run the SortParagraphs.jsx script and would like to remove duplicates manually or with a GREP until I have time to make the changes for future updates. It takes a very long time to run the script because I have over 5,500 items. I also want to keep the smart page number links to print as an interactive PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One possible solution can be found in this old blog entry from Colin Flashman: https://colecandoo.com/2012/08/30/making-picture-indexes-with-captions/

Scroll down to part 2...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much Peter. It was excactly what I needed. It worked great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines