• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Find and replace date format InDesign CS6

Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, and thank you in advance for your help if you can.  I have formatting for date in a rather large document of 09/05/1936 and I would like it to read 05 September 1936.  I have read a lot about the text variables, and I have tried several things, but none of it seems to be working (likely my inability and not the programs). Could someone please explain to me how I can change the formatting of the date throughout the document?  I thought if I created a text variable for both dates perhaps through the text or Grep, I could choose them, but I am not able to even find the date format using that, I choose the ^D for the find, and it will not find anything. Is there a way to do this?

Thank you,

Maggie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oleh.melnyk,

Thank you for your response and interest in helping.  Upon running the script, it seemed to have changed all the dates to 05 September 1936.  That was the example I used, but there are a variety of dates within the document in that format.  I saw in your script that you had listed out all the months, so I am sure you didn't want it to do that.  I am not sure why it is replacing all the dates with that one.  Do you have any further advice?

Again, thank you for your time and effort, it is much appreciated.

Maggie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

strange, I tested it with multiple dates and it worked just fine...

oh wait, did you just manually converted all dates in your document to text variables? O_o

if so, then it's most likely you misunderstood something, because text variables are not for date formatting...

you can convert ALL text variables back to plain text with this script - Dropbox - Convert All text variables to text.jsx

then change date format with my previous script

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oleh.melnyk,

So sorry, I made a stupid mistake; there was nothing wrong with your script, my error.  It did work, just as needed.  I can't thank you enough!  The super man picture for you is so very true....this is all amazing to me, and hopefully someday I will have/make the time to learn more of the language, but in the meantime, thank you for your help and sharing your expertise.

With the utmost gratitude,

Maggie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great script! Is it also possible to have the script add the correct day at the beginning? eg Wednesday 16 November 2022
Any help appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this script from Oleh.melnyk does exactly what i need but it is using the American date format mm/DD/yyyy and I need it use the UK date format dd/MM/yyyy. Is anybody able to update the script so it does the UK date format dd/MM/yyyy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2024 Jan 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi i need a support in date format.  I have formatting for date in a rather large document of 09-Jan-1936 and I would like it to read 09 jan with our year

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines