• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Find path to "Open Recent" in Indesign

Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking for a way to find the exact path to a file in Open Recent that won't open. The file appears not to exist, so I need to search backups for it, but to do this effeiciently I really really need the exact path.

There appears to be absolutely no way to get the precise path to a file in InDesign's Open Recent menu on Mac. Hovering over the Open Recent entry does not give a tooltip with the path. The path does not appear in the menu--only the file name.

This is an important file. I am perfectly happy opening some deeply buried InDesign preferences file in a hex editor if that's what it takes. How can I get the exact, full path for a missing file in InDesign's Open Recent menu?

{Renamed BY MOD}

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

The open recent list is stored in the InDesign SavedData file in your InDesign Cache in your user profile. This file is mostly unreadable, but the path names seem to be stored as ascii text, at least on my PC, where I was able to quickly find them by opeing the file in Notepad and searching for C:\ which is the root directory. Not sure how that's named on Mac, but you can probably do something similar by opening the file in TextEdit.

I think the path listed for the location of the InDesign Sav

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The open recent list is stored in the InDesign SavedData file in your InDesign Cache in your user profile. This file is mostly unreadable, but the path names seem to be stored as ascii text, at least on my PC, where I was able to quickly find them by opeing the file in Notepad and searching for C:\ which is the root directory. Not sure how that's named on Mac, but you can probably do something similar by opening the file in TextEdit.

I think the path listed for the location of the InDesign SavedData file is still valid after all these years in this link: Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your preferences 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Brilliant, thank you! That was exactly what I needed. Found the file, path names are visible in BBedit.

Cheers. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines