• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Find/Replace Font Keeps Crashing InDesign

Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have updated to Indesign 2022 and opened my Document which contains 144 pages. There is a message that now says "Type 1 fonts will no longer be supported starting 2023. Your document contains 9 Type 1 Fonts". When I click to see the number 9, the Find/Replace Font box comes up and shows the 9 Fonts. I select a Font that now needs to be changed, in this case Myriad Pro Bold and I pick what I think is a acceptable font replacement, in this case Arial Bold. If I go to "Find First" it brings up that instance and I can "Change". I then decide this change will be acceptable for all the instances so I go ahead and tick "Redefine Style When Changing All" and I go ahead and click "Change All" and InDesign crashes. I have tried about 10 times and every single time InDesign crashes.

So on a document that has a lot of pages how are we going to be able to easily Find/Replace Font? Am I going to have to go to every single page and update it that way? This is not efficient use of time.

Please tell me what I am doing wrong because I need the Find/Replace Font to work.

BTW I tried this on Indesign 2021 and same thing happened.

Thank You.

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about the crashing! I know that's really frustrating. I would request you to share a few more details like:

• Please confirm the exact version of InDesign 2021 and Operating System
    • Is this happening on a specific document? If yes, please package the document and share it with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link here or via DM. We will take a look at it.
    • From where are you opening this document & where are the links saved (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System/ External HDD)?
    • Submit the crash report by following the steps suggested here (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html).
      While submitting the crash report, please use the same email address with which you are signed in on this community. This will help us find the crash report and help accordingly.

We are here to help. We just need more information.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that there's probably something that is causing your Find/Replace Font tool to crash your document that is entirely unrelated to Type 1 fonts, if the same thing happened in Indy CC 2021. Not that I don't think that Anshul's questions are valid, just that I have a hunch, as I use that tool all the time and often have experiences similar to yours. It usually boils down to a single object, for me, that has text that has a paragraph style applied to it, and then local formatting overrides on the style. For some reason, Find/Replace font crashes in those instances.

So, when I am in your shoes, what I do is I save a fresh copy of the file, delete half the pages in the Pages panel, and then try to do the Find/Replace Font again. If it works, I know that the problematic element was in the half of the document I deleted. If it crashes again, I can reopen InDesign, delete half of the half-of-the-pages document, and then try the Find/Replace Font tool again. By process of elimination, I can figure out what element is causing the crash, and then either rebuild the element, or clear the overrides, or Break Link to Style, in order to fix that broken element in the original file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank You Anshui and Joel for your replies. I will probably try Joels approach first to see if I can sort out the issue. If and when I sort it out I will try to come back to this thread and give an update.

If anyone else has had the same issue and resolved it please feel free to respond here - I am open to fixes.

Thank You.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines