Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FindChangeBy.txt Help – Superscripting

Explorer ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There, 

I'm creating a FindChangeBy list of GREPs to run, and I'm trying to Superscript ordinals as one of my items. But I dont' know how to write the code to say position = Superscript. I have my Find what, I just don't know what my second item needs to be. Please help

TOPICS
How to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

It seems you are missing the escaping of the special characters. Change \ with \\ so the first grep string should be like following

grep {findWhat:"\\d\\K(th|st|nd|rd)\\>|[\\w\\s]\\K(~r)"} {position:Position.SUPERSCRIPT} {includeFootnotes:true, includeMasterPages:true, includeHiddenLayers:true, wholeWord:false}

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try

position = Position.SUPERSCRIPT

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may need more explanation than that. Is this correct?

grep {findWhat:"\d\K(th|st|nd|rd)\>|[\w ]\K(~r)"} {position = Position.SUPERSCRIPT} {includeFootnotes:true, includeMasterPages:true, includeHiddenLayers:true, wholeWord:false}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Replace = with :

So it becomes

{position:Position.SUPERSCRIPT}

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It still isn't working. Do I need to add something like changeTo: to it? Here is my full FindChangeBy list:

grep {findWhat:"\d\K(th|st|nd|rd)\>|[\w\s]\K(~r)"} {position:Position.SUPERSCRIPT} {includeFootnotes:true, includeMasterPages:true, includeHiddenLayers:true, wholeWord:false}
grep {findWhat:" ([\u]{2}) +(\d{5})"} {changeTo:" $1~>$2"} {includeFootnotes:true, includeMasterPages:true, includeHiddenLayers:true, wholeWord:false}
grep {findWhat:" (([\u\l]) (Jr|Jr.|Sr|Sr.|Esq|Esq.)( |\n|\r|\t|~y)"} {changeTo:"$1, $2$3"} {includeFootnotes:true, includeMasterPages:true, includeHiddenLayers:true, wholeWord:false}

What would be the reason that this isn't working? My GREP works fine for the layout, but it seems I don't know enough about code yet to troubleshoot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems you are missing the escaping of the special characters. Change \ with \\ so the first grep string should be like following

grep {findWhat:"\\d\\K(th|st|nd|rd)\\>|[\\w\\s]\\K(~r)"} {position:Position.SUPERSCRIPT} {includeFootnotes:true, includeMasterPages:true, includeHiddenLayers:true, wholeWord:false}

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That was it. Thank you. Didn't realize I needed to escape them even when its within quotes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines