Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fixed ePub "Go to Page" button action stopped working

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day gang!

I have been working on a large ePub Fixed layout iBook. It's a very visual and interractive book, with many Pop Ups and full screen expandable windows. Some full screen Pop ups are a single page and some are multi image carousels. With buttons everything is easy, a simple show/hide actions but when it comes to the carousels, i use the Object States, when specific button is clicked, the i use go to State, which opens up full screen. The problem is that there is no Hide State Object action that can be assigned to a button, so the solution i found is to create a Minimize button with Go to page action assigned to it. The page # is the same as the page the viewer is on but the action would trigger Re-loading the page you are on, and it would reset all the buttons to it's original state. Basically hide everything. All was working 100% for the past few month until now!!!! Any idea if the latest inDesign update could be blamed for it? Or any ideas how else would i hide full screen State object? Thanks!

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What EPUB reader are you using? They not only vary considerably, but don't necessarily maintain any consistency between updates. Did your preview reader have an update recently?

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i am using iBooks. The file will be viewed on an iPad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob has pointed out that it may just be function overload (or other faults in your book structure), but I'd take a minute to see if iBooks has been recently updated, and if there's a way to test under a prior version.

Testing in another reader, such as Thorium or Calibre, might be flawed if the book is optimized for iBooks, but it might show whether the link problems are document- or reader-based.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2022 Dec 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only tested in iBooks. Can either of you guys suggest to inDesign team to add Show/Hide Multi state object? That would be so helpful!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't hide an MSO but you can create an empty state and use a go to state button that takes you to it. BTW, you're doing a lot of MSOs I highly recommend this free extension that adds a lot of capability to MSOs. Object States Assistant for Adobe InDesign – Automatication

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your suggestion. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2022 Dec 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Bob, i tried to create an empty state in MSO but can't figure out how to do it.

could you please explain, i would like to test if it will work.

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wrote this back in the day for Digital Publishing Suite, but it all works the same way in EPUB. Digital Publishing Suite 101: How to Hide a Slideshow • BobLevine.us

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines