• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flow of Sections and Masters

Contributor ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've set all my sections in a book layout (by chapter). This retains the proper flow of page numbers and running heads, and that's all great. If edits to a section of text cause the chapter to be shorter or longer, the pages naturally reflow (text flows continuously throughout doc), but the Master Pages do not re-position (particularly in the case of part or chapter openings, which are styled differently) ... so, I then add or delete a page, or re-place the master in the appropriate spot.

I have someone learning to edit my documents, who comes from a Word background and is asking me why master pages end up in the wrong place when a change is made, and I don't have an answer for her. To me, a change to a section naturally affects the flow of the document – am I missing something? (Hope I explained this this so you understand!)

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Hi @saxtonstudio:

Because in InDesign, master pages are assigned to specific page numbers, and not to the content. As the content reflows, the assigned master pages remain on the original pages.

There is a feature request to attach master pages to paragraph styles so that they can move with the text reflow, but as of now it still is not part of the software. Perhaps both you and you colleague will consider voting for it. 

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/35852311-associate-master-pages-with-paragraph-tags

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @saxtonstudio:

Because in InDesign, master pages are assigned to specific page numbers, and not to the content. As the content reflows, the assigned master pages remain on the original pages.

There is a feature request to attach master pages to paragraph styles so that they can move with the text reflow, but as of now it still is not part of the software. Perhaps both you and you colleague will consider voting for it. 

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/35852311-as...

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I wasn't losimg my marbles, after all! Thank you, it's just as I thought. And I just voted!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Master Pages (Parents) are not automatically moved foreward if you insert pages. You have to add or replace thr master/parent applied.
  2. If you would each chapter a own INDD and sample it together in and INDB book file, added text would follow up with the same master type as the last page of each chapter was. INDDs in an INDB are called chapter.
  3. If you use primary tex frames or normal text frames on the parents/master makes a difference as master / Parents with  primary text frames are easier to apply than those with normal text  frames. For books I recommend the use of primary text frames.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Check out this addon:

https://www.id-extras.com/products/mastermatic/

You can apply parent pages based on paragraph or object styles.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines