Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font activation does not work within the font menu

Engaged ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I am really getting fed up with wrestling the font menu in indesign and illustrator.

Its *so slow*

But I can live with that however:

When I activate a font within the menu, it says its activated, but its not, or at least the apps do not believe it is. once I come out of the font menu in indesign it will pop up with the font missing box, even though I just activated it. Looking back in the font menu it has a tick by it.

Auto activation feature clearly does not work either this is a font from adobes own library and it does not auto activate.

Its just the same in illustrator, font menu slow and buggy, activated fonts are not activated.

Restarting the app and low and behold the font is now activated.

I have created a brand new local user just to test this, same issue. I have no font management installed and everything is up to date. I have a high spec laptop and the below PC, same issue on both.

Its a windows machine, hex core i7 8th gen, 32 gigs ram, 1080ti all SSD.

Is there any way to fix this?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't tell from what you've said if you are talking about Adobe Fonts (formerly known as Typekit Fonts). If you are talking about those I would suggest going into your Creative Cloud Desktop app and going into the Manage Fonts area and checking there to see if all of your previously downloaded Adobe Fonts are shown as being activated. It may show you that some fonts are not activated there because there is already a font by that name active on your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.

Yes this is the new 'find more' area of the font menu leading to adobe fonts.

You can activate in there, and it shows as activated in CC app.

BUt its highlighted pink and font is not available. However if you then retsart the app the font still shows as not available but if you scroll in your own library now there is the font which you then have to selefct again.

Its been this way since they introduced, its dog slow and flaky as anything. Its nothing specific to my set up as I have two set ups, one of which was a total reinstall recxently of windows.

The only work around i have found is to view fonts on line at adobe, find the one I want then go into the font menu in indeisgn activate that font, then highlight the text I want to use that font. So far as I can tell if I have text selected already then font activation just wont work reliably.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I helped somebody recently with a fairly unorthodox solution for fixing Adobe Fonts. Check out this thread and see if it helps: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/missing-font/m-p/11317526?page=1#M196102.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, yeah I did try already and it does work, but what I would prefer is that the feature just works as advertised.

Is it just me, is anyone else having this issue in windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if its related but also I can open a document and all is fine but if I copy some of the text and paste it into another document the font is now missing, even though its in the menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.

Well its a few years later. I still cannot activate fonts in the font menu from Adobe.

For instance I just tried fruitlessly to activate a font. It says its activated with the only option to deactivate but when I try and use it, I get this

Screenshot 2022-04-01 100220.jpg

This is an ongoing and constant issue on two PCs running windows 10. Does anyone else run into this, is there any advice to get this facility to work reliably?

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, i also run into this problem on MacOS12.3. It's a very stubborn and highly irritating bug. For some reason i have found that (if available) an entire fontfamily is activated the problem disappears. For single fonts it sometimes happen, which might suggest that there is something wrong with the font, but that seems highly unlikely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2022 Aug 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes! I have had this problem for ages as well. You are the first person I've found who has it too. I have two separate CC accounts and it is the same in both. So annoying. Wish there was a fix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines