• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font licence for ebook

New Here ,
Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have wrote a book that I'd like to pubblish and I have asked to a graphic designer to create the ebook that i will send to Amazon. Of course, He has a regular licence of Adobe InDesign (and others Adobe software). I'm a little bit concerned about three things:

- could I use the font (embedded) and the final ebook, that he will create, for a commercial use? This question was born thinking about the fact that the graphic designer has the licence, but I am not. I'm just a costumer.

- legally speaking, is there any font embedded in Adobe that is better to use for this purpose?

- do I have to quote the name of the font and of the software (InDesign) in the ebook?

Sorry for any english mistake.

Thanks  

TOPICS
EPUB , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Hi @Felice25282228r70m ,

Thanks for reaching out. The fonts are licensed for embedding in any ebook format which protects the font data such as EPUB, iBooks, Kindle (Mobi), Adobe’s Digital Publishing Suite (DPS), and PDF.  For more information, please refer to this article https://helpx.adobe.com/fonts/using/font-licensing.html

Let us know if this helps or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe fonts’ licences allows embedding fonts in PDFs and EPUBs. You do not need to quote the name of the fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not what you asked, but specifying and embedding fonts in EPUBs is poor practice and will lead to a number of problems in producing an acceptable EPUB result, and then in displaying faultlessly on the very wide variety of readers in use. They also bulk up the file size considerably, which can have consequences for distribution and publishing costs. (E-book publishers often base fees and royalties on book file size; all things being equal, keeping the book file as small as possible benefits everyone.)

Specific fonts rarely add anything to an e-book. I'd suggest well-styled layout that uses the default serif and sans-serif fonts chosen by each reader. A professional, stylish result comes more from the details of the layout than from the font(s) used.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Felice25282228r70m ,

Thanks for reaching out. The fonts are licensed for embedding in any ebook format which protects the font data such as EPUB, iBooks, Kindle (Mobi), Adobe’s Digital Publishing Suite (DPS), and PDF.  For more information, please refer to this article https://helpx.adobe.com/fonts/using/font-licensing.html

Let us know if this helps or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DPS? Thanks for giving me a bad case of the sadz.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Risbabh, thanks for reply. I've read that article before posting but I haven't found the answer to my specific case: i'm a costumer and i haven't a licence of adobe's software, the graphic designer does. Can I use the products he creates for me for my commercial purposes?

Regards

Felice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't believe the licensing gets into such fine details. If the designer is an authorized Adobe user and creates the EPUB using licensed apps etc., it doesn't really matter that it's for you as the "owner" or not.

If such were the case (that you as client had to be authorized or licensed) about 90% of the contract and agency work done would be invalid. 🙂

The essential point, I think, is that the font is embedded in that file and encrypted so that it cannot be extracted and re-used. Any authorized Adobe user can create that result, which I believe is all that's needed to comply with the licensing.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines