• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fonts display issue in Publish Online

Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm trying to use publish online with a document I've created. I've used the font 'Proxima Nova' for the body font and 'Smoothy Regular' for the headings. I am using Paragraph styles.

When I complete the Publish Online step and view it within a browser, several pages display the incorrect fonts and odd kerning behaviour appears, other pages are fine and appear as they are in the working file.

Example of font displaying incorrectly on Publish Online doc:

JosiahP_1-1622502303260.png

Font displaying correctly on Indesign working file:

JosiahP_2-1622502337514.png

This is really odd and frustrating behaviour, I've tried the following steps so far:

• Deactivated and reactivated both fonts (Smoothy and Proxima Nova)
  • Restarted my PC + Indesign
  • Deleted old Publish Online document, remade a new one
  • Tested out overriding Paragraph style with a different font - Calibri - this does show correctly in the Publish Online document
  • Tested link on Chrome and MS Edge - the same issue appears

I'm using Indesign CC 16.2.1

Windows 10 Enterprise. Version 21H1

Has anyone else encountered a similar issue and/ or knows a fix for this?

TOPICS
Bug , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Do you see this behavior with a specific file or font(Proxima Nova only)? Would it be possible for you to share the file package with us? This will help us look into the details & assist you accordingly.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, in reply to yourself and also @Laubender below:

@Ashutosh_Mishra 

Do you see this behavior with a specific file or font(Proxima Nova only)?

-Proxima Nova and Smoothy display this behaviour and this only seems to occur on pages 2 and 3 of this document:

https://we.tl/t-6jQDpouNzB (packaged)

@Laubender 

Are the fonts ok when you export to PDF and check with Acrobat Pro or Adobe Reader?

-PDF directly exported from InDesign displays fonts correctly. PDF downloaded from Publish Online link https://indd.adobe.com/view/3298cf1e-9e3b-42cf-8bd5-4bf92046595f also displays fonts correctly.

Are you using a font management app like Suitcase on your machine?

-No

In the case of Smoothy Regular, that is not avialble from Google Fonts,  contact the maker and buy the font so that you can install a font file in your system:

-Unlikely to be able to try this option, I work for local government so finding funds to purchase fonts when I already have Adobe CC + Adobe Fonts will be very challenging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JosiahP,

so you have issues with both fonts, Proxima Nova and Smoothy Regular.

Are the fonts ok when you export to PDF and check with Acrobat Pro or Adobe Reader?

Are you using a font management app like Suitcase on your machine?

If all fails: Download Proxima Nova font files from Google Fonts, install them and substitute Proxima Nova from Adobe Fonts with the downloaded font from Google Fonts.

In the case of Smoothy Regular, that is not avialble from Google Fonts,  contact the maker and buy the font so that you can install a font file in your system:

https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/smoothy#fonts-section

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

* Have to correct myself. Proxima Nova is not a free open source font at Google Fonts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JosiahP,

could you provide a small sample of that text?

You may be able to attach the InDesign document to a new post here in the thread.

Only one page and one single text frame where you see the issue.

Perhaps there are other factors like formatting that contribute to the result?

Or write me a personal message and give a download link from a service like Dropobox.

Just click my name and press "Send a message".

Sorry. You already provided a download link in your post above.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JosiahP,

let's think of some options to tackle the problem.

[1] You might think that a quick workaround would be to convert the misbehaving text to outlines before you do Publish Online. The issue with that: InDesign will treat the glyph outlines as images. No chance to retain the vector paths.

[2] The long way around the issue with [1] :

1. Convert the misbehaving text to outlines in InDesign.

2. Export that outlined text to PDF/X-4.

3. Open the PDF/X-4 in Adobe Illustrator.

4. Export the outlined text from Illustrator to the SVG format.

5. Place the SVG file in InDesign.

Export to Publish Online.

The vector shapes in the placed SVG should be maintained.

This is just a suggestion. Something you could try, something I did not test yet.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that reply @Laubender - was there a longer-term solution being looked at or will I need to do this workaround each time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just a user like you, so I hand this question over to Ashutosh, who is an Adobe employee.

You could also contact the font makers, if they see a specific issue that could be the cause for the bug.

In the meanwhile I hope that your documents are analyzed by the developers of InDesign.

Also write a bug report at InDesign UserVoice:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs

Give the link to this thread in the report and also the link to your test documents.

Regards,

Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having the exact same issue. First page is ignoring all fonts (Arial and Oswald), but subsequent pages are fine.

Here is my document: https://indd.adobe.com/view/342cc57e-e634-471e-be46-3c1f4e0148bb  

It has done this for months. The ONLY workaround that has worked for me is to put the entire first page into outlines. I don't like doing that because it is not as sharp, and quite frankly, I shouldn't have to. I have asked on the forum but nobody at Adobe seems to have an answer, and it is making me nuts.

lieslm55545060_1-1652725726474.png

lieslm55545060_0-1652725714225.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines