• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fonts "missing" in InDesign version 17.2 (2022)

Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I run Windows 10. Today I updated my Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Indesign, Illustrator, Premiere Pro) to the latest versions and found that in InDesign - and only in InDesign - one* of my installed fonts were listed as "missing" when I tried to load the documents I had been working on previously.

The font is not in the Typekit or the Adobe cloud font library. It's a bespoke font bought directly from the designers: https://vj-type.com/12-sud

The font is obviously installed in the Windows Font folder, so I tried re-installing it. No difference. Then I started troubleshooting. I copied the font to the Common --> Adobe --> Font folder. I tried clearing the Adobe font cache by deleting ALL instances of "adobefnt*.lst"-files. I uninstalled and re-installed InDesigned. I downloaded the Adobe Cleaner Tool and scrubbed InDesign from my computer. I manually deleted all folders and files that had to do with InDesign in the Program Files and App Data folders, and I used CCleaner to remove all junk and clean up the registry between each (and there were many) reboots of the computer.

Nothing helped. The font was still missing in InDesign, but present in all other programs (e.g. Illustrator, Photoshop, Microsoft Word). I downgrade to version 17.1. Didn't help.

Then I downgraded to InDesign version 16.4 (i.e. the 2021 version), and NOW the font is no longer missing and I can use it like previously. WTF!

So this is me submitting this a bug for versin 17.2 of InDesign for Windows (well, mine at least).

*I found out later that it was more than one font that went missing, but I didn't check all the fonts in the Windows Font folder. Suffice to say, since it was more than one font - e.g. this bespoke one: https://vj-type.com/11-nord - it seems that it's a program / coding error, possibly connected to TypeKit.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Hi @Matzki2,

We are sorry for the trouble. We are able to replicate the issue at our end with multiple fonts on v17.2 & in some instances, on v17.1 as well. We have logged a bug a with the product team last week, and they are currently investigating the issue on a priority.

I would request you to upvote this UserVoice (https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/44970238-installed-font...) if not done already. By doing this, you will keep on getting updates r

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to mention, the font in question was an .otf type font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Matzki2,

We are sorry for the trouble. We are able to replicate the issue at our end with multiple fonts on v17.2 & in some instances, on v17.1 as well. We have logged a bug a with the product team last week, and they are currently investigating the issue on a priority.

I would request you to upvote this UserVoice (https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/44970238-installed-font...) if not done already. By doing this, you will keep on getting updates related to this issue.

Also, if possible, please share the download link to the fonts which are not showing up in Indesign here or via DM with me.

In the meantime, you may install the older version of Indesign v17.0.1 or earlier until this issue gets fixed.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone still having this issue? I have InDesign 2020 v.17.3 - I've uninstalled, reinstalled. I tried an older version as well but the file created does not open. I have the Montserrat fonts installed on my Windows 10 and couldn't find the font folders mentioned above to drag a font into it or clear cache. Any help would be appreciate, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got upgraded to Windows 11, and the font issues I'm having are legion.

Fonts that I have installed multiple times, with Install for All Users, are in my Fonts folder, show up briefly as installed, which is to say the [brackets] around the font name go away. But when I open the Find Font window, they show up as not installed, and the text in that font is not visible.

I saved the file as IDML, opened in 16.4, same issue.

Some fonts I have been able to install (Century & Century Schoolbook), but the ligatures are absent and replaced with an uppercase A with an accent, or the apostrophe is now a comma, etc. When I export to PDF, I get notices that the PDF failed to export.  When I open it anyway, all the text has crazy letter-spacing, and the whole thing is a wreck.

I have had to go back to a previous machine that's on Windows 10, where all the fonts are still accessible, in order to continue working. I was having lots of issues with memory and insufficient CPU to run Adobe products, which is why we upgraded me to this machine. But now I can't use it because it is messing up so many fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @julietw99713499 ,

We're so sorry to hear about the trouble. Is this happening with the latest version of InDesign which is 17.3? If yes, could you confirm if you're able to use the font in any other Adobe application? Please share the name and source of the font so that we can try reproducing it on our end. We're here to help, just need more information.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, 17.3.  As already noted, I also tried the file in 16.4, and had the same issues.

It's happening with several fonts, actually.  Minion Pro Regular, Century Schoolbook Regular and Bold, Century Bold, Miller Text Bold.  Those are the only ones I've identified so far.

All are installed in my Fonts folder.  None are Adobe Fonts in the cloud.  I own them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Finding more font issues.

Today, it's Palatino LT STD regular in addition to all the other non-working fonts.  Says it's installed.  No errors in the Find Fonts window.  And yet this is how it displays: as invisible. And I cannot edit any of it.  If I try to select the characters, it only selects the left-most margin.

julietw99713499_0-1659126643130.png

As for the original issue with Minion Pro Regular, that is continuing.

I have installed it multiple times.  Install for All Users.  Right-click install, drag & drop into the Fonts folder, multiple methods of doing the same thing.  Brackets go away in the font name in InDesign.  And here it is in my Windows / Fonts folder.

julietw99713499_1-1659126820388.png

And yet when I try to do something with the text in Minion Pro Regular, it doesn't work quite right.  So when I look into the Find Fonts folder, dreaded yellow triangle.  It doesn't show up in the drop-down as a font to use as a replacement.

julietw99713499_2-1659126885009.png

And in the main Font name drop-down, there is no sample text showing for Minion Pro Regular.

julietw99713499_3-1659126964667.png

I have signed in & out of the Creative Cloud Desktop.  I have shut down my whole machine & restarted.  I have looked for the Fonts folder within InDesign or within Adobe, but now that everything is on the cloud, the Font folders I'm finding are either those that give fonts to use for the Creative Cloud application itself, or the folder is totally empty and whatever I put into it has no effect.

The 17.3 program is newly installed as of a week and a half ago.  I opened the files in 16.4, same problems.  These missing fonts are not Typekit fonts, but ones that I own, and have owned for many years and used without issue for many years, until this Windows 11 / 17.3 install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines