Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Footer Text Variables with GREP styles.

New Here ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all!

I am trying to apply the GREP style  \Chapter \d+ to my running footer. I have it set in my footer style - and it works on its own - but it refuses to apply when it is being used as part of my Text Variable (to auto apply the chapter number and title). 

I have attached a screenshot with an example. The top is when I manually type the chapter number and title, and the bottom is when it is set with the Text Variable. 

Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 12.12.22 PM.png

Any ideas on how to fix?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

It may also be that the text inside a variable is not recognized. As far as InDesign is concerned, a variable is a single character in the text flow, not the the text that displays.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the vertical bar is a glyph I would use that as a transition using Nested Styles instead of GREP. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I thought of using Nested Styles but what I want is for just the word "Chapter" and then the chapter number to appear as regular weight. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nested Styles will handle that just fine.

Screenshot 2022-08-18 at 1.41.26 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

~v is the GREP code for Any Variable. Don't know if that helps or not. \Chapter does not need the backslash. I agree with Scott: use a Nested Style, not a GREP

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may also be that the text inside a variable is not recognized. As far as InDesign is concerned, a variable is a single character in the text flow, not the the text that displays.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @juliem88830734 ,

Peter has it right. If all this, "Chapter n. Chapter Title Here" is reflected in one single text variable you cannot change the formatting inside. However, what you could do is to split the expression to two text variables for two different formattings.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines