Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Footnotes repeat their numbering every text box

Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm having some trouble - I'm trying to add footnotes to each section of a booklet that I am working on. I know how to insert and edit the style of footnotes, however in document footnote options where people say you can 'start numbering at', when I use this feature it starts the footnote numbers at the same number, in every section of the document. So each page goes 1, 2, 3, instead of the document endnotes starting at a higher number the further you go through the booklet. (screenshot attached)

I don't know how to link text boxes across an entire document, usually, whenever I click onto another spread that's it, you can't see the thing I clicked on on the page before it. I can't link all the text boxes because some are title and subtitle boxes.

How do I make the footnotes flow continuously in the document? Will I need to manually insert these characters? I'm going mad

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Can't do that as you have every single text frame as a single story. Maybe some scripting would be helpful but unfortunately I can't help you with that.

But why can't you "link all the text boxes because some are title and subtitle boxes"? Leve titles in the stand-alone text frame and connect frames with your main text:

Zrzut ekranu 2021-05-28 120833.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't do that as you have every single text frame as a single story. Maybe some scripting would be helpful but unfortunately I can't help you with that.

But why can't you "link all the text boxes because some are title and subtitle boxes"? Leve titles in the stand-alone text frame and connect frames with your main text:

Zrzut ekranu 2021-05-28 120833.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't link them back the text boxes aren't linked. As in I didn't copy and paste an entire document, I copied sections of body text and lay them out so that only that section is linked together. I can't seem to link together the text boxes because they are brand new text boxes...I think

When I try to link, it pastes a bit of the last section in place of the body text that is part of the next chapter, if that makes sense

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Insert a break character at the end of text in the previous text frame: Type --> Insert Break Character.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't matter if text frames are old or new. After adding break characters and merging text frames everything should be fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here is what happens when I link the text boxes across the whole document (you can see text just disappears and I don't understand what I'm looking at) I prefer to work in sections

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show me it with hidden characters visible. It is very hard to word without them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I separated the titles so that I could make a paragraph style for a table of contents

Here is what happens - it doesnt let me click a little blue icon, only a plus, and every time I link a text box (which worked for like 2 spreads after adding frame breaks) it creates an error of overset text

anyway I have no idea how to even word my responses lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have two break characters, remove one:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.jpg2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

like this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but hash (#) means that this is the end of the story. Why did you remove the connection with next text frame? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

the only time I've been removing connections is when the next text box is replaced with nothing, or with text from the previous box. I sent a message

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, I see no reason to separate titles from the main text. It takes much more time; one story would be much easier to work with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines