• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Format loss when copying text from one indesign document to an other

Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, i have this problem when copying text from a document to an other (existing, older document). In one case i copied a textfield just with two numbers and indesign managed to display one number in the correct font and the second in a default font (minion). These problems occured to me since i upgraded to indesign 2021, the documents are from an older version in 2019. I can only assume that this has something to do with some preferences, which just don't fit between the versions but it is something which never occured in older versions and which is an absolutely catastrophy when working with indesign.

The next thing that changed is that when copying a text from word to indesign in an existing text frame, indesign NOW just keeps the font (format and size) from word. In former indesign versions this imported text just adjusted to the existing text formats, which was quite nice. Can i change that as well? 

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

"The next thing that changed is that when copying a text from word to indesign in an existing text frame, indesign NOW just keeps the font (format and size) from word. In former indesign versions this imported text just adjusted to the existing text formats, which was quite nice. Can i change that as well?"

Hi Aerofrager,

this requires a change in your InDesign Preferences:

Preferences > Clipboard Handling > "When Pasting Text and Tables from Other Applications"

Paste: [x] Text Only

If you w

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you confirm that you use styles to manage formatting on both documents?

Maybe of help How do I keep my text formating when pasting from ... - Adobe Support Community - 4081610

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hmmmm, well, the file has some formatting preferences, which i made years ago… but that text field seems to have not a specific one which i made but some kind of a default which indeed refers to a formatting which i made. But i changed some parameters by hand (size/Color) in that particular text field. I post  screenshots.. The first 2 screenshots are from the document i made first FROM which i copied and the 3. and 4. are from the document i copied in. It seems to be the problem that the both formattings have the same (default) name but are based on different fonts (DIN/Minion)...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The next thing that changed is that when copying a text from word to indesign in an existing text frame, indesign NOW just keeps the font (format and size) from word. In former indesign versions this imported text just adjusted to the existing text formats, which was quite nice. Can i change that as well?"

Hi Aerofrager,

this requires a change in your InDesign Preferences:

Preferences > Clipboard Handling > "When Pasting Text and Tables from Other Applications"

Paste: [x] Text Only

If you want only some formats like "bold", "italic", "bold-italic" or "underline" see into the RichPaste.jsx script by Marc Autret: https://www.indiscripts.com/post/2015/10/richpaste-copy-and-paste-with-minimal-formatting

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines