• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Format/Style section headers

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been racking my brains out on this, tried Line styles but wont work for obvious reasons.
Maybe theres something simple i've missed but i would like to Style the first line of each section as you can see in the graphic in one go if possible
I have to do a few pages full of of data like this each week and going to each header and applying a style using the dropper takes me ages.
I have shown the non-printing characters in the graphic if that helps.
any suggestions gratefully welcomed...
Thanks

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Hi John,

look after the first character after two paragraph signs and apply the paragraph style.

GREP Find

pattern using a Positive Lookbehind:

(?<=\r\r).

GREP Change

the paragraph style.

FWIW: You have to format the first paragraph in the story manually.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide , Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

As shown on your screen, each title is a separate paragraph. So, you can use a Paragraph style to keep all formatting options in the same place.
In this case, you have to create 2 styles, for general text (e.g. "main style") and for title.

If your original text file has any styling for the titles, you can import it with preserving this styling. Then use the Find/Change window in "Find/Change format" mode, in the Find field select the original styling, in the Change field select your brand new tit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

look after the first character after two paragraph signs and apply the paragraph style.

GREP Find

pattern using a Positive Lookbehind:

(?<=\r\r).

GREP Change

the paragraph style.

FWIW: You have to format the first paragraph in the story manually.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wasnt expecting such a quick response...many many thanks Uwe, worked perfectly.
Thank you so much greatly appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As shown on your screen, each title is a separate paragraph. So, you can use a Paragraph style to keep all formatting options in the same place.
In this case, you have to create 2 styles, for general text (e.g. "main style") and for title.

If your original text file has any styling for the titles, you can import it with preserving this styling. Then use the Find/Change window in "Find/Change format" mode, in the Find field select the original styling, in the Change field select your brand new title style. 

Then all titles will have been formatted automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Anna, your method also works...i have a choice now !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If your data is coming from a database or spreadsheet, you can also try two options:

• A third-party plugin such as Em Software InData, or
  • Use the next paragraph style to cycle through the formatting (See attached PDF).
David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines