Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Formatting & Page range not generated in Index

Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We are doing typesetting in InDesign CC 2020 application using word document as input. When word document flowed into InDesign, all index terms was generated with page numbers. But we have faced the below two issues:

1. Formatting was not applied for some particular index term page numbers

2. Page range was not generated

Word: We generated Index in Word file, the formatting and Page range was generated properly. 

Word.PNG

InDesign: We generated  Index in InDesign file using same document, the formatting and Page range was not generated. 

InDesign.PNG

Please provide a solution to retain the formatting and page range.

Regards,

Sureshkumar

InDesign Paginator 

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show us how those page references are set up? They'd have to be set up to run on for some number of pages, or until a paragraph style change, or something along those lines:

JoelCherney_0-1646935071760.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joel,

The actual problem is why the index terms with ranges & bold were not generated InDesign which is in word manuscript.

We have imported the same word manuscript into InDesign and generated index using Index option, those index terms with ranges & bold was not generated. 

I have attached both word manuscript (included RFT & DOC format) and InDesign document for your reference.

Regards,

Sureshkumar

InDesign Paginator 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, those materials were very helpful in figuring this out. I'd never manually used the Insert Index Marker tool in MS Word, so I didn't know that one could specify that number being bold or italic. InDesign's indexing tool works differently, in that you can assign a character style to all page numbers in the index, and you can also choose a "number style override" when inserting a new index entry.

JoelCherney_0-1647277587956.png

So, you could simulate Word's behavior here by making your own bold number style,  but I don't see a way to get InDesign's Word import filter to reproduce it. Similarly, there are a few ways to mark a page range in an index in InDesign, but none of them seem to be like the bookmarks in MS Word. You could make some custom paragraph styles and use those styles to define those ranges, but once again that would be a manual task to be performed after placing the indexed Word document, not something you could get InDesign to do natively upon placing. 

If you have the time or resources, you may want to look at writing a VBA script to apply carefully named character styles in Word to all index-related stuff. Then it shouldn't be too hard to automate changing the page-reference types of your markers in InDesign after import with some Javascript. I have taken a look at a few manuals for InDesign plugins or scripts meant to improve upon InDesign's native indexing tools, but I've not spotted anything specifically about improved Word document index import in what I've seen. 

You should also go over to the InDesign uservoice and vote on the topic of page range references in Word index importing. I don't expect rapid movement from the developers on this issue, given that there are only a few votes asking for this feature, but I think it's worth a click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines