Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Frustration with the slowness of InDesign and InCopy

Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe team,

Why are InDesign and InCopy so slow when they work together?

My case: I am working on a 130-page brochure with approx. 1000 linked text frames. Yes, that's a lot of text frames, but we're only talking about a layout and typesetting programme here. Minde you – I'm not doing any video or image editing with many gigabytes. I'm talking about megabytes in the double-digit or maximum triple-digit range.

When can I, when can the InDesign community finally expect more performance? I always see and hear how breathtaking the performance of Photoshop is supposed to be in cooperation with new Macs ... all well and good. But I just want to type and not have to make coffee in the meantime!

Please do something -
Frustrated greetings!

TOPICS
Bug , InCopy workflow , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No idea what is happening here. It's a good rant. But there's no info for anyone to help you.

What version of InDesign/Incopy?

What's your OS? 

Are you running incopy and InDesign at the same time? 

How is the workflow for your InCopy working?

What program are you typing in when it's going slow? Incopy or InDesign?

Are you working from a dropbox/one drive/server or any other cloud storage?

Are you working from a USB key or another storage drive?

The more info you can give the more we can help.

In the meantime the usual fixes tend to apply

Back up your files

Export your file to IDML

Open that in InDesign - resave it as an Indesign file with a new name (version number or something like that).

Does the problem persist?

--

Try resetting your preferences:
The easiest way to reset everything is to delete the InDesign preferences: as soon as InDesign starts to boot hold down Shift, Alt, Ctrl (and Apple/Cmd if working on a Macintosh). A dialog will appear asking to delete the InDesign Preferences, select 'Yes' on this dialog.
Further info and instructions here if needed:
https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-locations.html

--

You can always try the creative cloud cleaner tool https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please answer Eugene's questions, along with full system specs and we might be able to help but for your reference, I am running InDesign / InCopy 2022 here on Windows 11 with an 11th gen i7, 64GB of RAM and M.2 storage.

Everything is very fast. Anything under 16GB of RAM on Mac or Windows is going to problematic and will absolutely slow things down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... just frustrated since two years, sorry.

ok ... lets try!

- I use InDesign and InCopy 2022, but it doesn't matter which version ... it also affects the previous ones.

- Currently I'm working with macOS BigSur on iMac 2019, i9, 64 GB (but also affects other older iMacs or MacBooks of mine).

- i.R. I only work InDesign. So that only InDesign is open. Sometimes InCopy is also open in parallel. But that doesn't matter.

- Checking out an InDesign file with 1000 frames takes a long time. Checking in also takes a long time.

- Updating the InCopy task in InDesign takes a long time.

- InDesign also often crashes when updating (version 2021).

- Typing goes regularly as soon as the task is checked out.

- The InDesign and InCopy file are in Dropbox. Dropbox is installed regularly and is located on the iMac. No external storage.

- Yes, the usual steps help for a while. But in general, checking in the InCopy task again (with 1000 text frames) for each newly created InDesign file via an idml file always involves a wait.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Dropbox preferences make sure you disable any smart sync feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes. I dont use Smart Sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try the cleaner tool!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines