• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Function similar to the Vlookup from Excel?

New Here ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, I apologize if this question has been asked 100 times, but I have scoured the forums and interwebs for quite some time and have been unable to find exactly what I am looking for. Also, I am completely new to InDesign so please be kind.

The quick question:

Is there a feature that would link InDesign to a spreadsheet or comma delimited file to pull in pricing based on an item number?

What I want to do is exactly like how Vlookup works in Excel, define a column of primary keys and do a vertical lookup against a table to grab a value in an adjacent column. I have been researching Data Merge but that doesn't appear to work with a primary key scenario.

Could this be done using a script or VB?

Any direction you can point me in is greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 08, 2019 Feb 08, 2019

Context is important here, what is being created? Is it as simple as a DL sized pizza menu, or is it more complicated 200pp parts catalogue?

InDesign's Data Merge works akin to Microsoft Word's Mail Merge, albeit with less features, but is good for creating numbered stationery, direct mail or business cards. It isn't what I would use to tackle a project such as a parts catalogue or directory, for those tasks I'd rely on an XML import (the learning curve for doing this in InDesign is VERY steep) o

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you looked at inData by Em Software (http://emsoftware.com/products/emdata/)?

I have been using their product for quite a while and I love them.

HTH,

Michel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2019 Feb 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Context is important here, what is being created? Is it as simple as a DL sized pizza menu, or is it more complicated 200pp parts catalogue?

InDesign's Data Merge works akin to Microsoft Word's Mail Merge, albeit with less features, but is good for creating numbered stationery, direct mail or business cards. It isn't what I would use to tackle a project such as a parts catalogue or directory, for those tasks I'd rely on an XML import (the learning curve for doing this in InDesign is VERY steep) or using a third party plug-in such as the one already mentioned earlier in this thread, or others from this list: InDesign plug-ins, free third-party plug-ins

I've created several javascripts that interact with Data Merge using the ESTK (Extendscript toolkit) so this could most likely be scripted, but it would definitely be a paid project for a professional programmer.

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 10, 2019 Feb 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Discussion moved to InDesign Scripting​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the replies!

It is a 300-400 page price catalog with everything you might expect to find in such a publication for approximately 4500 item #'s.

I have done some research regarding the InCatalog plugin and utilizing custom scripting, both of which look very promising, but I have also determined that to finish this project I am going to need an InDesign professional to assist.

Again, thank you Micheal and Colin for your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the exact same issue. What was the conclusion and the solution chosen?

Thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines