• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Generating index not working properly

Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created an index for a multiple-document book in Indesign, but some of the topics and some of the references under them aren't showing up when I generate an index. For example, I have a topic of Pizza which have more than 25 items which I placed under it, but only four show up in the index. Items from all of the documents in the book are showing up, just not all of them, and many of the topics aren't showing up even though they are clearly in the index panel.

What shall I do to fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Hard to know without seeing a lot more information, paragraph styles, character styles, index screenshots etc.

If you could provide a sample file it would be easier.

What version of InDesign? What OS?

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/indesign/using/creating-index.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hard to know without seeing a lot more information, paragraph styles, character styles, index screenshots etc.

If you could provide a sample file it would be easier.

What version of InDesign? What OS?

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/indesign/using/creating-index.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem and I do not find an answer in the basic index instructions, which I have followed. I am indexing a book in ID 3. All of the entries (as references only, no topics) find their way into the  index dialog box but when creating or updating the index document several references with multiple page numbers are included, but not all of the pages. This is a book with 10 chapters about the piano and composers, so Chopin has about 80 page references, all found by the index dialog but when the index is generated only three of the refences show up. I have tried deleteing the references and redoing it but the same result. Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2021 Dec 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to have all of the files of the Book open in order to be able to ‘Add All’ the page references to your Index!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

– but that said, if you have generated (and maybe regenerated) a preliminary Index to see how it’s going, make sure your Index file is closed when adding page references, otherwise your Index will be indexed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines