• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Glitch with button overlay - on click show/hide

New Here ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have successfully created an interactive resume page with buttons to where you click on the image and my team resume shows up. The resume is a button, when you click on the popup it hides (with the hidden untill triggered checked). However, when I save as an interactive PDF the first item shows up properly see below.

caitlinp7035259_0-1645563753074.png

If I move around too quickly the images will cover the resume. What have I done wrong, is this just a glitch in the code? 

caitlinp7035259_1-1645563864548.png

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's hard to tell what you have going on there, especially without first-hand, investigative access to the button settings. But really, that's beside the point I'll make...

I understand the temptation to do something slick when you discover the show/hide button features in InDesign, but as you're just as quickly discovering, the results aren't reliable; surely not reliable enough for something as important as your resumé. You'll have no control over how that PDF is viewed by recipients, and if, by default on a recipient's device, it opens in a browser plugin, Apple Preview, or worse, some 3rd party, mobile-platform PDF reader, who knows what they'll see? Your show/hide stuff could work erratically, backwards, or not at all.

The only truly reliable way to make show/hide work is to execute it with Javascript in Acrobat Pro, with code that shores up all the possibilities of wrong-order user input, and, then somehow ensure it will only be viewed in (the desktop version of) Adobe Reader.

It's unfortunate, but "interactive PDF,"—especially when composed using only InDesign's features—is avery limited platform that isn't suited to a broadcast or send-to-anyone deployment plan. In format, a resumé should be universal and so plain that it's machine-readable. Making it dependent on recipient input is potentially a fatal mistake. HTML would be a much better choice for this project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

tl;dr, You have not successfully done anything. If you want to send a resume, do it Word.

The longer answer is that interactive PDF is nothing but a crapshoot at this point. Using it for resume makes zero sense and has no upside at all. You are going to miss out on more opportunities than you will get with it, especially when it fails. This is a fool's errand. If you want to show off your work, Adobe provides free Adobe Portfolio websites. I suggest looking into that and stop trying to impress anyone with bells and whistles. Adobe Portfolio | Build your own personalized website

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines