• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Glitchy Interactive Pdf Display In Adobe Acrobat (Please Help?)

Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created an interactive pdf using the hover and roll off features on certain objects/shapes. Once the mouse rolls over a shape it changes colour as programmed, but upon roll off where the original colour shoud come back, only part of it does. This can happen for up to five objects remaining with their hover colours on for seconds after the mouse has rolled off. They should all have their original unactivated colours as soon as the mouse rolls off and not seconds after.  Is any one able to assist (I'd be so grateful)?

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That "feature" has been wonky forever. This is not an InDesign issue, it's an Acrobat issue and FWIW, I would never use something like unless you know for sure the content will be viewed only on desktop machines. There is no way to make it work on mobile.

You might want to re-think the whole thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the PDF file, or send it to me privatly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I will send it to you privately. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that Flash is obsolete some features in Interactive PDFs have changed – you can have a word or words or an image (such as a button shape) as a document hyperlink to say another page in the document, or to an external website. Some devices, for example, iPads, don't have rollover capability – only click – you should avoid multi-action buttons like On Click, On Roll Over, etc. Multi-state objects (MSO) don’t work at all in Interactive PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Now that Flash is obsolete some features in Interactive PDFs have changed"

To be more precise, I would say that before 2021, Acrobat made it possible to use either the interactive functions of the PDF 1.7 format (aka ISO 32000 Standard) or the interactive functions of the SWF format, via the support of the Flash Player plugin (as for browsers ).

Now the difference is that Acrobat only supports the interactive functions of PDF 1.7 format.

The problem is that InDesign has always favored the support of the SWF format (which made sense at the time) but it never really handled the interactive functions of the PDF format well.

While waiting for InDesign to evolve, to create a "real" interactive PDF using all the features of the PDF format, it is best to use Acrobat Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your input. I will try and open the pdf with Acrobat Pro and see how that goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The point is Megan , that unless you can control which PDF Readers your users will use (unlikely), your Interactive PDF is bound to fail unless the interactivity consists of just simple hyperlinks, as I described earlier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Thanks I will send it to you privately. "

As can be seen from the attached capture made in Acrobat Pro, InDesign has curiously split each petal into two interactive areas/form fields, one for the image and one for the text.
(See what I said above about InDesign lacks).

But the form fields are both reactive to the passage of the cursor which explains this strange behavior.

To resolve the problem, all you have to do is using Acrobat Pro to deactivate the form fields containing text, leaving only the field containing the image active.

You should know that in a PDF a form field is necessarily rectangular, which explains some inevitable overlaps between some petals.

I sent you the corrected document by private message.

Capture_77.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"unless you can control which PDF Readers your users will use (unlikely), your Interactive PDF is bound to fail unless the interactivity consists of just simple hyperlinks, as I described earlier."

You can control which PDF Readers your users will use!

All PDF form makers should know this great tip (copy-paste this URL in Google Translate) :

https://www.abracadabrapdf.net/ressources-et-tutos/js-et-formulaires-ressources/forcer-utilisation-p...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks I will look into this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines