• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GPU rendering not working after Monterey installation

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently 'upgraded' to MacOS Monterey and now I have GPU issues, it is no longer rendering screen grabs that are pasted into InDesign. The odd thing is they will display if grabbed from a seconday monitor (3840 x 2160) but not the main 5K iMac screen (5120 x 2880).

The screengrabs render if I turn off the GPU preview but this is not ideal as it's slower and I lose the animated zoom that I rely on all the time. With GPU preview the screengrabs just display as a flat color regardless of the 'display performance' settings. They appear once I switch to CPU preview. I have a high spec graphics card in a 2020 5K iMac.

I did initally think it might of been an InDesign 2022 issue but having installed the previous 2021 version, the issue persists on both versions. Things were working perfectly before the update.

Any ideas on how to fix this issue?

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020)
3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7
32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like an Apple issue if I'm honest. I'd try first contacting their support.

How do you create the screengrab? Are you using Mac native screengrab tools or a 3rd Party tool?

It's not really ideal to paste directly into InDesign - although should be ok.

Would it be possible, or is it too slow, to paste the image into photoshop first, then save it and place it as a link InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a major hassle to create files from the screengrabs and would really slow me down. the screengrabs I use are not for final output but I use them when building mood boards and grabbing reference material from multiple sources. I'm using the apple native screengrab tool.

I also noticed another rendering issue with the GPU, some fonts are not smoothed and you can see straight edges along the curves in the red outline. Again when I turn off the GPU it smooths out. There is definitely some GPU issues with InDesign that is related to Monterey.

I think my setup is fairly typical and my Mac is only a year old so I really think Apple/Adobe should be able to recreate this issue very easily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe so - but it's hard to know.

There are issues with the GPU performance and turning off the GPU accelartion in InDesign preferences is a known workaround.

I think there might be an update for InDesign out now - 17.01

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/indesign-17-0-1-improved-performance-and-bug-fix...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same problem here. I'm using Catalina with Indesign 2022 and some screen problems when I drop a guide on the document. Never had this on Indesgin 2021. And here I don't have GPU on Indesign 2021/2022. Is activated on Illustrator and Photoshop, but off on Indesign. I tried to run on BigSur but same issue too, so trying to use Indesign 2021 until a update. 17.0.1 don't fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just had a long conversation with senior Apple support and they say it's an Adobe issue which I tend to agree with. My Mac appears to be working 100% correct with all software except InDesign. It is Adobe's responsibility to ensure their software is optimised to work with the latest operating systems. Yes, Apple may change code that breaks things in 3rd party software which is frustrating for them, but ultimately, 3rd parter developers have to modify their code so it works.

InDesign has redraw issues with GPU's, it's well documented so they need to get a grip on it and invest more time and money on InDesign.

I've decided to go back to Catalina as I cannot afford to have my workflow affected so significantly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Catalina with Indesign. 2021 works fine here without issues. My GPU is recognized on Illustrator and Photoshop, but I'm using 1920x1080 monitor here. Using Indesign 2021 the GPU acceleration is off, but I never had glitches when drop guides to my document. On 2022 I'm having weird glitches issues. I tried to upgrade to BigSur and same problem with 2022 version (updated to 17.0.1, the last one), so I'm back to Catalina. I will add the screenshot of the document and then what happens while I'm adding and moving a guide to the document. When I drop the guide, the screen refresh fixes the glitches, but not while moving it. The strange thing is it mixes a previously document that I opened to the last one glitched. Something like a buffer? I will add the previously document to understand the glitch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So just a quick follow up on this, I did not go back to Catalina as I had deadlines and could not afford the downtime and potential issues it might bring with restoring so much content. This means I had to live with InDesign and the GPU issues.

The redraw issues are random in that it will often not display images that are imported, some older documents display images, others do not. Creating new documents will sometimes allow images to display, sometimes not. I can have a file that is working then suddently you import and image and all images go blank, use that same image on another document and it's fine. They is no way to identify the exact trigger but everything works fine if you tun off the GPU preview.

Given the vast number of stories I've been reading about InDesign and the use of the GPU preview, I think it's time Adobe really looked into this, there are obvious issues. No other software exhibits these issues so trying to blame Apple or a GPU hardware failure just won't cut it.

I'm still considering going back to Catalina but won't do it until Xmas time when I have a bit more time to deal with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I useda a scritp that open more resolution for my display. The original resolution limit is 1920x1080 and after this scritp I'm using 2048x1152. It fixed the redraw issued that I had on Catalina with Indesign 2022. Now I have GPU Preview text on the document window and fully working. Maybe you can try.
https://github.com/xzhih/one-key-hidpi
You can try too SwithResX https://www.madrau.com/ I istalled this, but only used the scritp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have tried resolution changes before, and I just tried it again. I've also tried disconnecting the external monitor and nothing seems to change the behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines