Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Graphics card need

Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2024 Mar 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!
What graphics card do Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop programs need?

For perfect operation, is nVidia Geforce RTX 4050 6 GB or nVidia Geforce RTX 4060 8 GB recommended or other?
Thanks

TOPICS
How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 04, 2024 Mar 04, 2024

Both, to be honest, are greatly overpowered for all but perhaps some Photoshop operations assisted by the GPU, and very complex work in Premiere and AfterEffects, which can never get quite enough graphical processing power. The only advantage to either would be for gaming at high FPS, and possibly some very advanced numerically-intensive graphics applications like AutoCAD.

I'm running a 2060 with two monitors, a 5K ultrawide and a 4K 27-inch. Once in a while, on a very large photoshop image ru

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 04, 2024 Mar 04, 2024

the only advantage to either would be for gaming at high FPS, and possibly some very advanced numerically-intensive graphics applications like AutoCAD.

On some operating systems, you can offload a bunch of AI model work onto your video card. 

I think that Mac users get some meaningful use out of having a discrete GPU, but I can't recall what it might be (the only relevant bit that comes to mind is memories of helping people fix their problems by telling them to turn GPU support off in thei

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 05, 2024 Mar 05, 2024

@Csaba35848364o7cl

What kind of Photoshop operations? 

As InDesign is a single-thread application - then highest CPU speed - MHz - number of cores isn't a priority. 

Photoshop on the other hand can use multiple cores - but only in specific situations / operations. 

So if you are just doing some touchups - and do not use multiple / complicated filters, 100s of layers / effects / etc. - I would go for better performance in the InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 07, 2024 Mar 07, 2024
Perhaps you could help me,
(although this is no longer a topic of program requirements),
that even if I use additional monitors, it makes a very big difference/significance whether the display is
165Hz 350nits G-Sync 100sRGB
or
144Hz 350nits G-Sync 45NTSC?
@James Gifford—NitroPress @Robert at ID-Tasker @Joel Cherney 
I am thankful!

By @Csaba35848364o7cl

If you mean in terms of reproducing colors - 1st is sRGB 2nd is NTSC.

So rather ONLY 1st - or anything else that works in sRGB - definitely no

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both, to be honest, are greatly overpowered for all but perhaps some Photoshop operations assisted by the GPU, and very complex work in Premiere and AfterEffects, which can never get quite enough graphical processing power. The only advantage to either would be for gaming at high FPS, and possibly some very advanced numerically-intensive graphics applications like AutoCAD.

I'm running a 2060 with two monitors, a 5K ultrawide and a 4K 27-inch. Once in a while, on a very large photoshop image running a complex transformation like perspective warp, I notice a distinct pause before the operation completes. That's it. (I also run games on the 5K at around 60 FPS).

So buy either of those as suits you, but a 3060 — just to be safe and a little more recent — would be more than enough power for these apps.

Or pick up a 2060 and save your money for a next generation, when it's called for. BTW, system RAM will boost performance on most Adobe apps, especially InDesign, far more than a little more expensive video horsepower. If you don't have at least 16GB, upgrade to that — or 32GB for some extra margin. It will pay off more than just about any other system upgrade (CPU, video, local drives etc.)

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.1 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the only advantage to either would be for gaming at high FPS, and possibly some very advanced numerically-intensive graphics applications like AutoCAD.

On some operating systems, you can offload a bunch of AI model work onto your video card. 

I think that Mac users get some meaningful use out of having a discrete GPU, but I can't recall what it might be (the only relevant bit that comes to mind is memories of helping people fix their problems by telling them to turn GPU support off in their Preferences). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, looking at my post, there's all kinds of hard-science number-crunching that I don't do myself, that can be done with great speed & efficiency on the GPU, in the right environment (aka the right Linux distro).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that's like saying 4-low and 600 ft-lbs of torque are useful, if you're going to tow heavy equipment with your Civic.

Not many users are going to use their worktop machine to do massive AI or bitcoin processing. And those who are probably config their systems in reverse, with supercomputing GPU power and a console. 🙂

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.1 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2024 Mar 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!
Thanks for the quick answers.
Sorry, I'm not good at IT. Maybe I asked the question wrong.
I want to buy a Lenovo LOQ laptop. We have two types of 100% sRGB machines available.
1. Intel Core i7-13620H; 15.6" (2560x1440) LED matte IPS 165Hz 350nits, G-Sync, 100% sRGB ; 32GB or 16GB DDR5 5200MHz ; 2000GB or 1000GB m.2 PCIe NVMe SSD ; nVidia Geforce RTX 4050 6GB GDDR6
2. Intel® Core™ i7-13650HX Processor (24M Cache, up to 4.90 GHz); 15.6" QHD (2560 x 1440) matte IPS LCD (165Hz, 100% sRGB, G-Sync); 16GB DDR5 4800MHz RAM (1x16GB); 1TB M.2 PCIe SSD; NVIDIA® GeForce™ RTX 4060 8GB GDDR6

I also use a second monitor. I don't use it for gaming. Due to the price difference and durability (obsolescence),
I would like to ask if I need the more serious one, or will the RTX 4050 6GB be sufficient for many years?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone writes in Photoshop, just because of the experience, or is Illustrator, InDesign less machine-intensive?
Unfortunately, when I go into the store, every salesperson tells me what is needed for the programs they sell. Most sellers don't even know anything other than photoshop.

I really want to buy a durable machine for work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really want to buy a durable machine for work.

By @Csaba35848364o7cl

Can you specify - rougly - how much you'll use each application - INDD / PSD / AI? Which one would be the most used?

As much memory as you can would be your priority.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THX!

I use Photoshop and InDesign the most, but both at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Csaba35848364o7cl

What kind of Photoshop operations? 

As InDesign is a single-thread application - then highest CPU speed - MHz - number of cores isn't a priority. 

Photoshop on the other hand can use multiple cores - but only in specific situations / operations. 

So if you are just doing some touchups - and do not use multiple / complicated filters, 100s of layers / effects / etc. - I would go for better performance in the InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THX!

Everything, I would work with her as a graphic designer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that even if I use additional monitors, it makes a very big difference/significance whether the display is
or
I am thankful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2024 Mar 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
or
I am thankful!

By @Csaba35848364o7cl

If you mean in terms of reproducing colors - 1st is sRGB 2nd is NTSC.

So rather ONLY 1st - or anything else that works in sRGB - definitely not NTSC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines