Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Gray bars over text

New Here ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi: I just updated my InDesign, so not sure if that has something to do with it, but I keep on having gray bars appear over text (see below). Does anyone know how to undo this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Community Professional , Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017
It's called Greeking. Go to Edit > Preferences > Display Performance and set Greek Type Below to 0.Greeking is on as a default, and it displays very small text as gray bars when the assumption is that the text is too small to read anyway. Years ago it was a speed issue to help the pages display more quickly, but I've never cared for it, and always disable it.

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's called Greeking. Go to Edit > Preferences > Display Performance and set Greek Type Below to 0.

Greeking is on as a default, and it displays very small text as gray bars when the assumption is that the text is too small to read anyway. Years ago it was a speed issue to help the pages display more quickly, but I've never cared for it, and always disable it.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the above. This issue was solved in 2017.
However, now in 2021, the same issue arise but the solution doesn't match the new interface 😞
Hate it when they upgrade stuff but get rid of things just to put back later and call it another upgrade!!! 😞

Very dissapointed with Adobe Illustrator team!

So what is the solution in 2021? Can anyone help?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is the InDesign forum and if you meant InDesign you are not looking in the right place. It's under display performance and nothing has changed in this regard in more than 2 decades since InDesign was released.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always happy to help, Christine!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines