Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GREP - change regular space to small or minum space

Engaged ,
May 07, 2022 May 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi people 

I have a GREP command to convert all numbers inside parenthesis in superscript notes.

2.png

I would like to change the regular separation space of the superscript to a small space so it is no so distant from the word. I mean this space in the image

4.jpg

so if i can change it to this smaller space

3.jpg

How can i do that?

Any help or ideas?

Thanks 1000!

TOPICS
How to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 07, 2022 May 07, 2022

Hi @SebastiaoV, I'd go for something like this:

Find what:

\s?\((\d{1,2})\)

Change to:

\x{2009}$1

In the Find What, the \s? means match a whitespace character or not, so will match kibutz (3) as well as kibutz(3). I've changed your + to "{1,2}" which means match 1 or 2 digits, so it will match (3) and (30) but not (2022). Just an idea.

In the Change To, the \x{2009} is a unicode for a thin space. Other unicode values for narrow spaces can be found here. Basically \x{2004} to \x{200A}

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 07, 2022 May 07, 2022

The problem is you have added \r but the actual text has a period. Try removing the \r and let me know how it goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the Footnote/Endnote tool? If so, the find is:

\h(?=~F)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really using the footnote tool but thanks for the tip 😉
They send me the Word file with the footnotes as numbers inside parenthesis, for example: (6) and that GREP command will convert them all as superscript. The only thing is that they get a bit far a part from the text with a regular space. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @SebastiaoV, I'd go for something like this:

Find what:

\s?\((\d{1,2})\)

Change to:

\x{2009}$1

In the Find What, the \s? means match a whitespace character or not, so will match kibutz (3) as well as kibutz(3). I've changed your + to "{1,2}" which means match 1 or 2 digits, so it will match (3) and (30) but not (2022). Just an idea.

In the Change To, the \x{2009} is a unicode for a thin space. Other unicode values for narrow spaces can be found here. Basically \x{2004} to \x{200A} — higher code points = thinner spaces (\x{200B} is zero-width).

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the good advice m1b
The code looks very interesting but I might be doing something wrong since i get the sign "No matches" when applying it 😉

how can solve it?

Thanks!

1.jpg 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is you have added \r but the actual text has a period. Try removing the \r and let me know how it goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It works beautiful! 
I don´t know why when i copy + paste from this website it did include an added \r, but not i have remove it it just great!
Thanks for the great help with these issue 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use this in a GREP style as part of a paragraph style. Make a character style that uses horizontal scaling at, maybe, 50% and apply that with the GEP Style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines