• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GREP crashes Indesign after altering "find format" dialog in find/change

Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using GREP over the past few InDesign versions - now up to INDD 2022. I use GREP to find and change using the "find format" dialog (e.g apply to a paragraph style etc) and it works fine – the first time. BUT – if I try another GREP search and replace and change the "find format" parameters it will crash InDesign every time. Any clues? I am now on a MacBook Pro 2019 using BigSur 11.6.1, but this has affected earlier machines and OS versions. 

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but this seems to be a pervasive bug that has followed me across many versions of InDesign and CC.

But if anyone else has this problem I have a workaround! Create each GREP search with all format requirements and save the search using the "save query" button. Then you can actually use each saved query in sequence and they won't crash InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you install the next new version of InDesign, are you opting to migrate settings, or set them up fresh in the new install? If you are migrating settings with each new install, you might be bringing forward the same problem.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you're experiencing this regularly and it's not happening for others then it's something local to you 

If a document is not behaving well then try 

File>Export 

Choose IDML

Open the IDML in InDesign
Save the file as a new InDesign file with a new name
See if the issue persists.

----

Try resetting your preferences:
The easiest way to reset everything is to delete the InDesign preferences: as soon as InDesign starts to boot hold down Shift, Alt, Ctrl (and Apple/Cmd if working on a Macintosh). A dialog will appear asking to delete the InDesign Preferences, select 'Yes' on this dialog.
Further info and instructions here if needed:
https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-locations.html

----

Reinstalling rarely fixes everything - you can do a complete reinstall using the
Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

----

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines