Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Grep Query

Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
I'm working on a long document. There are lots of paragraphs which start with first word ALL CAPS. So I want to apply a paragraph style to all those paragraphs at once. So the problem is, I want to find and replace only the paragraphs which first word is ALL CAPS. Then I can apply the paragraph style to it. Anyone can help to find a Grep for this? 

Attached a screenshot to get things clear. Please tell me if I didn't explained it clearly.

Screenshot_3.png

TOPICS
How to , Scripting , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It makes a difference if the All Caps were keyed that way with the shift lock on or if they were applied to lowercase letters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very true.

So, if the text at the beginning of a paragraph was typed using actual uppercase letters, use a GREP search for:

^\u+

If the type is upper and lowercase, but formatted with the All Caps command use a Text search for text formatted as All Caps:

uppercase.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You still need to be sure you're finding text at the start of the paragraph, though, and that first letter would have been typed as upper case and may or may not have all caps applied.

(?<=^\u)\l seems to find the string correctly up until I add the All Caps formatting at which point I get a Cannot find match error because the first letter is not styled as All Caps.

I suspect that if the first character in the paragraph is plain typed upper case and not styled as All Caps it is not possible to find the first word in the paragraph in all caps using Find/Change. I'd love it if one of the GREP ninjas could tell me I'm wrong and show us how it's done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't write scripts, but I have every confidence that this could be scripted by checking the second character in a paragraph to see if All Caps is applied and if is true assign the paragraph style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seen as you can't do a find change to change things to UPPERCASE as with the Type>Change Case

It would be beneficial first to go the route of finding the uppercase at the beginning of a line

^\u+?

And changing this to All Caps

Then you can do the find change to find all the All Caps at beginning of a sentence

find

^.

format

All caps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's a good idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines