• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GREP search for formatting outside of styles (with + symbol) ?

Advocate ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to search for text that has any modifications applied that aren't in the assigned styles; for example, if a Paragraph Style has a point size of 10 but somewhere in the document, it's been decreased to 9 points.

Further... I'd like to remove the extra formatting.

To be more specific, I'm trying to replace superscripted text with a style (I named it "Body Superscript") that includes superscript throughout a document, but find that lots of the results that are found that have the Body Superscript style applied also have a + next to the "Body" Paragraph Style.

So... is there a way to do this? 🙂

thanks

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Once you have applied the Character style where you want it, you can do a find and replace on all text with that paragraph style, and replace it with itself and the same style. This reapplies the style and removes all overrides.

The ^? in the Find What field is a wildcard that finds everything that has the formatting listing in the Find Format box below.

Screen Shot 2021-08-12 at 9.09.08 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Hi turner111,

use InDesign's Style Override Highlighter function to see if there are style overrides on:

[A] Typical paragraph properties, marked at the edge of a text frame

[B] Character properties, marked directly at the characters

Adobe InDesign: Quickly recognizing and removing overrides
by Barb Binder, Adobe Certified Instructor, June 24th, 2019
https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-quickly-recognizing-and-removing-overrides/

The dry facts from the InDesign help pages:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/paragraph-character-styles.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once you have applied the Character style where you want it, you can do a find and replace on all text with that paragraph style, and replace it with itself and the same style. This reapplies the style and removes all overrides.

The ^? in the Find What field is a wildcard that finds everything that has the formatting listing in the Find Format box below.

Screen Shot 2021-08-12 at 9.09.08 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Susan, this is not working for me in my test in CC 2021 16.3.0.24, but I may be doing something wrong.

First, your wildcard ^? fails to find anything for me. .+ does work, however.

More important, though, when I've applied the character style to a single glyph, then manually changed the font size, I see the plus sign in the Paragraph Style panel, but not in Character Style, and after running Find/Change there is no formatting difference manual override is still present.

Just checked and same behavior in CS6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I was doing something wrong. I neglected to actually set parameters in the character style definition, trusting ID would use the current formatting of the selected text when I created the style. Once there were parameters, the overide was removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter: Are you using the GREP panel in Find/Replace? The wildcard .+ is the GREP code; ^? is what works as a wildcard in the Text Find/Replace panel. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi turner111,

use InDesign's Style Override Highlighter function to see if there are style overrides on:

[A] Typical paragraph properties, marked at the edge of a text frame

[B] Character properties, marked directly at the characters

Adobe InDesign: Quickly recognizing and removing overrides
by Barb Binder, Adobe Certified Instructor, June 24th, 2019
https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-quickly-recognizing-and-removing-overrides/

The dry facts from the InDesign help pages:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/paragraph-character-styles.html

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SJRiegel said: "Once you have applied the Character style where you want it, you can do a find and replace on all text with that paragraph style, and replace it with itself and the same style. This reapplies the style and removes all overrides."

Absolutely.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks everyone! I will try this out tonight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines