Grouped items and accessibility

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to sort out how to handle a grouped set of items in InDesign, with the goal of making the document accessible. Working with the text portion of a document seems relastively straightforward - for accessibility - set up paragraph styles (heading, subheading, body text, etc) and assign tags to each style.

BUT - graphics! I have graphics that are, for example, composed of 3 separate things - the chart, a title for the chart and a caption for the chart. The way I have it arranged is that the title is in a text frame with a "Title" Object Style. The caption is typed manually into a text frame that has a "Caption" Object Style. And the chart is in a graphic frame with a Graphic" Object Style assigned to it. 

I group them to make it easier to try different layout options and to apply text wrap so they can have some white space around them. 

BUT :

1. Do each of the elements (text frames and graphic frame) need tags?

2. Where/how do I assign alt text to the group? Do I apply it only to the image and make the title and caption boxes read as artifacts? Can they stayed grouped?

3. Is there a better way to set things up? Nearly every image in the document has a title, figure, and caption.  

Sorry for the slew of questions, but I am trying to do the right things, and this doesn't seem particularly intuitive. I wish Adobe made it easier for folks to make accessible documents.

TOPICS
EPUB, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

1. Yes

2. Object menu > Object Export Options > Alt Text > Custom

3. I often make a separate design for an accessible document where I leave out all content that is irrelevant to a speech reader. OTOH, many use the Articles Panel to only put in the elements that need to be tagged. Any object not dragged n dropped on the articles panel will not be tagged in the exported PDF. Be sure to click the Articles Panel menu button and turn on the switch labeled "Use for tagging order in tagged PDF"

Mike Witherell

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines