• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Guides do not get deleted when they should

Enthusiast ,
Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to change my guides on a spread. 

Going to Layout > Create Guides, then setting some up and checking the Remove Existing Ruler Guides has no effect.

Same thing for going to View > Grids & Guides > Delete All Guides on Spread. No effect at all.

I'm using InDesign 18.0 (2023).

What can I do?

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,
the guides are probably on a parent spread.
Go to the pages panel and click through the parent pages on the top half and check for the guides there.
Also make sure your layers in the layers panel are not locked.
If you are on a parent page and have the layer(s) unlocked the menu actions should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I had to take back the Correct Answer.

Sadly, even in the Parent Page, creating new Guides with Remove Existing Guides checkes is not removing the old ones.

What should I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Override those guides as you would do with any other object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But then there is a problem in this dialogue if the option to Remove Existing guides doesn't work. 

Is it a bug ?

Screenshot 2022-11-10 at 22.25.35.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, as these guides are NOT on that page, but on its master/parent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I wasn't clear: I removed the "correct answer" mark because trying to use this dialog IN the parent page didn't remove them either. So, they don't get removed neither in the child page (expected) NOR in the parent page (not expected). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a guess, since I'm not seeing what your page looks like, you might be trying to remove margin and column guides that are part of the page setup. The remove guides command you are using only works on guides you've created separately from those main margin and column guides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope! 

Here's what I've done, on a normal page with 9x12in size, a margin of 0.5in.

I created a 12 columns 12 rows grid with 0in gutter based on margins.

Realising this was not what I wanted to do, I repeated the process but this time checked based on page and also checked "remove existing guides". 

This resulted in two sets of guides being present instead of the page-based ones removing the margin-based ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the guides on a locked layer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you maybe share the document? Since the guides are the problem you can pretty much remove everything else content wise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think I have discovered what the problem is: when you set new guides, the most important parameter seems to be their being related to either margins or page. That is, you can have both, in different colours, gutter, amount, at the same time. 

When you check the "Erase previous guides", it applies only to guides of the element (margin or page) you are relating them to. So, if I created 10 guides relative to margins and what I wanted was 10 guides relative to page edges, I first need to set the margins guides to 0, with the erase existing guides checked, and then create new ones with the radio button set on pages. 

Thanks to Brad @ Roaring Mouse for triggering the correct mindset in me with his comment! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines