• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Guides don't move

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot move guides, neither on sample pages nor on document pages.

The guides ar neither fixed nor placed on a different layer.

Restarting the program didn't help either nor restart of my Mac.

What can I do?

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

I downloaded your file and found the problem.

Open the Layers panel, select Ebene1, and click the panel menu in the upper right corner of the panel. Choose Layer Options and UNCHECK Lock Guides.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

I opened your file from the links posted above.

I see a number of locked objects on page 2 when I expand the layer in the panel. No doubt this is why you cannot select them. You can change this behavior by going to the General section of the preferences and unchecking the box for Prevent Selection of Locked Objects in the Object Editing section. This will allow you select and edit locked objects, but not move or delete them. To do that they must be unlocked, which you can do in the Layers panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the guides on a Parent page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the guides on a Master page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's what I meant by saying "sample pages", of course they are called "Master Pages" correctly, sorry for my vocabulary flaws 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... and that means that I cannot move them in the Master Page either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are called Parent pages now.

Can you post a screen shot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am only talking about the guides (colored aqua blue), not the margins and columns of the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To delete the horizontal guides on the Parent pages -

Layout  > Create Guides > Remove Existing Ruler Guides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check if the guides are locked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course. I'm a longtime user of inDesign and I never had this failure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although you say this is not the case, the most likely reason the guides will not move is that they are either locked (View > Grids and Guides), or they are on a locked layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked that, believe me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe the problem is that I'm using CC6. Don't beat me 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 was what I meant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing about locking guides has changed since CS6.

If they are on a Master page you must either move them on the Master or Ctr + Shift (Cmd + Shift) Click on the document page to release them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither command shift nor control shift works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We seem to have covered all of the obvious solutions - so it seems that the best way forward is for the users here to take a look at your actual file. Is this a document that you could share via dropbox or some other file-sharing system? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not at my workplace now. I'll get back to you tomorrow. It's 07:14 in my time zone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#SJRiegel, I upload the InDesign folder with a reduced number of pages of my original file right now (two out of forty pages): LD_ProfileMP_A4_2022-01-25_sample-pages.indd. Maybe you can see more then.

The guides cannot be selected either on the parent pages nor on page 1 (e. g. the one at the left edge of the picture bar or the one running through the text) and any other pages of my original file with 40 pages.

BTW there's another problem as well (maybe corresponding to the one above):

On page 2 there's a picture in the background that I can't select either (text: Eigene Studienarbeiten Auswahl), so I had to cover the middle upper section of my page (text: Küchenscheren) with a blank white square, so I could type the new text block above that.

All objects are on the same one and only layer and there's no special layer for the guides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess the attached InDesign file cannot be opened here, sorry. I'll try dropbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I release the folder in dropbox, so that forum members can read the InDesign file in within?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded your file and found the problem.

Open the Layers panel, select Ebene1, and click the panel menu in the upper right corner of the panel. Choose Layer Options and UNCHECK Lock Guides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#Peter Spier, thanks a lot! You are the master of graphics. Didn't know this feature yet. Great!

Two questions still:

#1 – On page 2 there's a picture in the background that I can't select (text: Eigene Studienarbeiten Auswahl), to work around this I covered the middle upper section of my page (text: Küchenscheren) with a blank white square, so I could type the new text block above that. How can I remove that background picture (sitting on the same layer)?

#2 – Could you download and open my InDesign file from my upload on this page or did you download it from Dropbox? I just try to learn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines